Johns tomato seedling tip

• 8 Replies

Jackypam

Johns tomato seedling tip
« on: March 02, 2017, 14:15 »
Hi, johns tip re transplanting seedlings within 6 days of germination was interesting so I pricked out the moneymaker but now don't know where to put them.  Back on the bottom heat do you reckon?  Or just on the windowsill?

jambop

Re: Johns tomato seedling tip
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 16:19 »
You have tomatoes on the go already !! I won't start my ones off until near the end of March for planting out mid to late May.

Jackypam

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 16:22 »
mine will go into the unheated greenhouse so I start them a bit earlier. 

Jackypam

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 16:23 »
hang on - you are in south west france!  you won't need a greenhouse there!

Mum2mj

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 16:33 »
Hi, johns tip re transplanting seedlings within 6 days of germination was interesting so I pricked out the moneymaker but now don't know where to put them.  Back on the bottom heat do you reckon?  Or just on the windowsill?
I would have thought on the windowsill but don't close curtains if tomatoes are between them and a window.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 16:55 »
My peppers and a few early-sown tomatoes are just on a table in front of the window (no windowsill here!) and I close the curtains at night so the seedlings don't get chilled. I just make sure to open them asap in the morning, making sure the tinfoil stays upright  :D

jambop

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 17:37 »
hang on - you are in south west france!  you won't need a greenhouse there!

Yes that is true but I still need to get them germinated while it is still relatively cold so I do that is a small cold frame. It warms up the instant the sun hits it so for most of the day the temp is great and I cover it over at night to keep the heat in. I just thought that you would normally start the seeds off about 6 weeks or so before the last frost time for your area? Even in a greenhouse a frost of the sort you can get around April/ May in the UK would do for tomato plants ? I don't put my plants out until mid to late May down here depends on the soil conditions.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 17:59 »
I start our toms quite late to avoid them getting too leggy. They grow in square modules and always seem to get too tall, so they then get buried even more...

Mind you, that's not a bad idea, but somehow, the 'gardener' in me says "Growster, don't allow your toms to get too long before planting out, the stems are not strong enough"...

jambop

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 21:43 »
I start our toms quite late to avoid them getting too leggy. They grow in square modules and always seem to get too tall, so they then get buried even more...

Mind you, that's not a bad idea, but somehow, the 'gardener' in me says "Growster, don't allow your toms to get too long before planting out, the stems are not strong enough"...
I tend to agree with that growster I really do not like my toms to be too leggy. I usually plant my toms about six inches sub soil and then ridge the row with the soil drawn up another three or four inches to promote root growth. Seems to work I usually get great tomatoes and the very seldom get watered.

xx
What to do with this tomato seedling?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2013, 22:23
by ConfusedGardener
xx
The perfick tomato seedling.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 15:23
by Totty
clip
Tomato seedling woes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 23, 2024, 20:46
by Anton
xx
Tomato seedling advice please!

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 13:15
by gobs

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 35 queries.