When to move large bulb planters outside?

• 2 Replies

Yana

When to move large bulb planters outside?
« on: January 17, 2014, 07:09 »
I got hold of a lot of spring bulbs towards the end of last year and planted them into large plastic planters. The planters / pots are sitting in the greenhouse at the moment covered in newspaper and one or two of them are starting to show green tips of the bulbs. I've removed the newspaper from those that have and kept the others covered until they have green tips showing.
If I move them outside they are going to get waterlogged as the rain does not seem to be easing up and colder weather is forecast next week. I have put good drainage in the bottom of each planter. I really potted them up for outside as I wanted a good show of colour to brighten the garden up (the planters are used for veggies later in the season) so if I keep them in the greenhouse (unheated) too long will this be detrimental to them eventually going outside?  :(
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Goosegirl

Re: When to move large bulb planters outside?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 14:16 »
Beside your drainage, I would put them on bricks or something so any excess water can drain out. Spring bulbs are pretty hardy but hate being water-logged. I would remove their covering but would have some bubble-wrap handy in case the weather really turns very cold.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: When to move large bulb planters outside?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 18:21 »
Are there actually holes in the plastic planters?  If so, then as GG says they should be fine outside if they are outdoor bulbs - perhaps harden them off a little if it suddenly gets cold overnight in the first few days after putting them out - and I agree with the suggestion to raise them on bricks or similar so that water can drain better.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

clip
Unknown bulb

Started by Yorkie on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post December 31, 2018, 18:51
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
Bulb Planting

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post September 29, 2019, 09:12
by New shoot
xx
Plant/bulb selection ?

Started by Sleepingpopman on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2014, 11:10
by Goosegirl
xx
Gladioli bulb question

Started by chrisnchris on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2012, 17:27
by chrisnchris

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 28 queries.