Am I odd?

• 8 Replies

Beano

Am I odd?
« on: June 21, 2012, 09:08 »
Last night we ended up being home much later that I anticipated, around 10pm. It wasn't even a good evening but we were delayed and I was in a panic about the chickens. I knew the younger ones were safe in a secure pen but the older girls need to be shut in before it gets dark. FORTUNATELY nothing horrible had happened.
The trouble is: I spent most of the night dreaming that something had happened. In one dream someone was supposed to look after them and had lost one. In another, the coop had been chewed by some predator. All in all I had a very disturbed night.
Surely that's not normal!
El.

splash101

Re: Am I odd?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 09:10 »
sounds perfectly normal to me ...... unless i'm odd too  ???

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 10:38 »
I am the same... Love my ladies!
x1 Light Sussex x1 Black Rock x1 Bluebell x1 Silver Sussex

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 11:09 »
Auto pophole door - a lifesaver!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Beano

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 11:44 »
It's good to know that there are others out there. I suspected as much.
As for the auto. pophole  door: I'd be scared that it would shut before they all had a chance to get in. One in particular stays out about an hour later than the others.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 15:40 »
Hubby has built a walk in run for ours so I don't have those nighmares.  Unfortunately we haven't got one done for the quail yet and have a couple in a birdcage (because of them being bullies).  I have the cage near the other quail and had a nightmare that a fox had knocked the cage over.  I was looking out of the bedroom window at the fox with a quail in its mouth.  They are now put in the shed overnight so I can sleep soundly.   ::)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 16:13 »
She is always in bed ages before it closes. I think they are adjustable but I didn't adjust mine.  She can get up and breakfast (treadle feeder) early and let me have my lie in.  My laziness really!

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 18:38 »
I too have had dreams of me trying to attack a fox which is in the garden!!

isobel

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 23:46 »
Well can I recommend attaching the standard green poultry netting to a leisure battery! It has been a life saver for us. I lost so many hens (and my lovely cockerel) to the fox and then invested in the electrified fencing. I heard the foxes bleating piteously the first couple of nights that they tried it for size but it has been all quiet since. I now leave my girls out all day when I am at work quite happily and don't have to worry any more about getting home late! Nor about my greedy cats snacking on the babies! It was a bit expensive but worth every penny.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 38 queries.