new cockerel

• 9 Replies

tim

new cockerel
« on: May 09, 2008, 07:50 »
we have just intraduced a cockerel to our girl and he seems to be doing his job but we dont know how long they stay fertile for.does any one no???

Jellyhead

new cockerel
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 11:34 »
How long what stay fertile for :?
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
new cockerel
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 13:27 »
Eggs?? or Cockerels??

I remember something about giving a cockerel two weeks with hens until you start incubating the eggs - but that may just be to make sure they are definately his babies - so if hens havent had any other man about would be fine. Then they are dormant until you incubate them so can save up eggs to hatch clutch together - i normally save up for 5-6 days to get enough as we only have  a few hens. If you turn them whilst waiting too itis supposed to maintain viability.

Cockerels - we have a really old rescue chap I would say 3-4 years old who is still doing his thing and producing fertile eggs.

Does that help??

Foxy

new cockerel
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 17:19 »
It sounds like you have just the one girl? maybe an idea to get some more hens as he will tread her ragged and not much fun for her! :shock:
Are you looking to hatch some tim? Oh welcome to the henhouse! :lol:  :lol:

tim

cockerel
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 17:54 »
:oops: sorry i ment we just introduced a cockerel to our flock of 106 hens and wanted to know how long a cockerel is fertile for .

NormandyMary

new cockerel
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 18:21 »
Blimey! One cockerel with 106 hens. He'll be knackered, but he'll die with a smile on his face :lol:

Foxy

new cockerel
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 18:29 »
Not sure I can answer that one - I have a cockerel who last year had 100% fertility at 4 years old. Is it true that smaller lighter cocks are fertile for longer? I expect you'll hear from Munty or Bodger on that question their the experts if you know what I mean :wink:  :lol:

agapanthus

new cockerel
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 20:06 »
I just asked Munt how long does a cockerel stay fertile for.........he says...."till it's dead" !!!!!! :roll:  :roll:  :roll:   Apparently his Samson was 11 and was still doing the business!!!! :shock:  :shock:  He was a RIR :)

Jellyhead

new cockerel
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 20:56 »
OOOOOOOER, what a lucky cock you have :wink: perhaps you should get another one or 2 or 3 or 4  to help him out :shock: so to speak :oops:

tim

busy boy
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 09:09 »
:wink: thank you for your help with our cockerel.he came to us by mistake but he seems to enjoy his life with all his girls!!!!!!!!!! we intend to have another one but we are waiting to see what happens with the eggs we have put into our new incubator.we are new at this but seem to be doing everything right up to now.we have 20 egg in the incubator and they have 11 days left so fingers crossed .

xx
ill cockerel

Started by rachels-e on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 11:25
by lisa80
xx
cockerel or not?

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2010, 09:06
by bantam novice
xx
Should I have a Cockerel ?

Started by Blobbs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2012, 09:50
by Blobbs
xx
Cockerel

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 20:52
by Honeysuckle

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 28 queries.