Auctions

• 14 Replies

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
Auctions
« on: June 05, 2007, 12:39 »
Just wondered if any of you go to general auctions ?
if you dont they are well worth checking out we picked up two very large garden wooden chairs for 45 pound and i have also seen statues and other garden stuff there.
the auction i go to they sell a lot of brand new tools sometimes for as little as 1 pound .
one of the best buys i had was a brand new washing machine for 35 quid. :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Auctions
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 16:29 »
£45 for 2 large wooden garden chairs?  You must go to posh auctions LMM, in our local one they go for about £5 or £6!!!!

Last month we went, and OH fancied this Stag bedroom stuff, long dressing table with 6 drwers and 6 drawer chest   I said well we odn't relaly need it, but I'll bid a bit, got both of them for £5, and I bought a computer workstation for £2, it's now in my craft room, makes a lovely craft table.  Any work I haven't finished stays on the big tray which slides in on the keyboard shelf!  Looking for similar for my granddaughters now!

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
Auctions
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 18:41 »
The chairs wht i brough are like hamock chairs they are solid and dont fold down at all .they also swing a little.i

leeky

Auctions
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 00:44 »
there are local auctions here, they sell all manner of stuff. even boxes full of different items and its a gamble on what you get in them  :lol:
havent heard of one for a while come to think of it, so hopefully soon.

wisp

• Experienced Member
Auctions
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 02:46 »
I never think of going to auctions. Wouldn't know where to begin. A whole new world is opening up to me.  :D

How do you find out about them? I know, I'm greener than cabbage!  :oops:
Cast your bread upon the waters ... and you'll have soggy bread!

chrissiethechippy

Auctions
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 12:57 »
I don't know if they have them here  :?    

I've never been to an auction before  :D    Is it addictive?  :oops:  :D

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
Auctions
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 18:10 »
to find out about auctions look in your local pa[per and see where they are.many are linked to estate agents so ask them as well.

with a auction you get whats called viewing days.for example with the auction i go to  its held on a sat but the thursday evening and all day friday you can pick up a catalouge and view what will be sold.so you can mrk in your catalouge what you want it is a good idea to do this as on the day they normaly get so packed  you can hardley move by going to the viewing day you can take as much time as you want to look at the stuff.

on the day you register all that means is you fill a form and you get given a number on a card.
once a item comes up you like you bid.the catolouges will have a estimated guide.

if you  purchase a nything once the auction is over you go and pay for it.

Golden rules

only bid for what you can afford.allways have a set price in your head for what you would be prepared to buy it for.

always remember there is always a commission and vat on top

for example
if i brought something at 100 pounds in the auction i go to it will end up being about 120 pounds

auctions are never anygood to sell but great to get rid of stuff :wink:

WG.

Auctions
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 18:16 »
Quote from: "chrissiethechippy"
Is it addictive?  
Yes

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Auctions
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 23:22 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "chrissiethechippy"
Is it addictive?  
Yes

Definitely!!!!!1

wisp

• Experienced Member
Auctions
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 02:05 »
Thanks Miss Muffet,

Really clear information and explanation.

You say ask estate agents, does that mean just pick up the phone and go through the yellow pages? Or do they have special announcements in the local paper?

Can this sort of info be found on the net, if so ... where would one begin?

I take it you all think it's addictive. I'll have to be careful then!!!!! :lol:

Trillium

Auctions
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 03:21 »
Over here, it's announced in local papers. Estate agents might know which of their clients plan to downsize considerably and hold auctions, but I wouldn't hold my breath on those.

And if you're interested in anything special, play dumb. Others who might be interested as well will look for others also interested and sometimes play you for higher prices. I wait until the bidding is pretty much done before I bid. If there are several of an article you want, and it's 'so much for each', do a few bids but let someone finish with a low price. That enters you as a bidder who could take one of that amount at the same price as sometimes the winning bidder doesn't want all of that item (eg 6 saws).

dawninspain

Auctions
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 09:08 »
Auctions are great fun - we used to go to a lot but unfortunately there are very few here:

Try these links - the antiques trade gazette covers fine art and antique auctions but most auction houses have general sales as well:

http://www.antiquestradegazette.com/

Pearsons are estate agents local to you who also do general auctions:

http://www.pearsons.com/auctions.php

Also try:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/green.lane.auction/index.htm

Once you go to one local auction you can always ask others there about where else to go.

Most of our house is now furnished with furniture from auctions.  You can get real bargins and if you are buying for yourself you can usually outbid the dealers. For example we have an early Victorian chesterfield sofa which we go for £3 because it looked like it had spent the last 50 years in a shed. The frame was fine. We spent about £300 getting it reupholstered and we now have a sofa which will see us out.

Dawn

weeeed

Auctions
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 19:49 »
Another way to melt my credit card! I can't wait to find one, Yipee. :D  :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

ChickenAnn

Auctions
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 11:30 »
I love auctions, though find myself left with this wierd obsession with chests-of-drawers and chairs. Faltastic stuff you can find, though not sure it really saves money -  the practicality of my last purchase ( a carousel horse) was a bit questionable.

Trillium

Auctions
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 02:00 »
Auctions are worthwhile only if you have a fair idea of store prices of items you're interested in. Otherwise, you can get taken for too much just as easily as finding a great bargain. Over here, tools are a mug's game: the farmers show up in mass and pay far too much for rusted wrenches, rusted chains and other things. I find it easier and cheaper just to buy new. Try to get to the auction before bidding starts and really look over items that interest you. Sit on chairs to see if they're actually rickety or lumpy, etc. And stay away from chests of drawers, carousel horses and chairs!  :lol:  Tell yourself your foot will fall off if you buy another.

xx
I love Auctions

Started by Madame Cholet on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post February 11, 2015, 19:14
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 39 queries.