Tasty tit bits for my chicks.

• 7 Replies

newhen

• my hens
Tasty tit bits for my chicks.
« on: September 18, 2009, 11:55 »
What do they like and is good for them.  I will get the pellet food for them but want to give them tit bits too if that's ok.

So far I have found that I can give

Cabbage
Spaghetti

What else please?
2 Gingernut Rangers
1 Miss Pepperpot
2 Light sussex (bantoms)
and
4 ex battery hens, Katie, Sam, Lucy and Camilla.

nzdunn

Re: Tasty tit bits for my chicks.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 11:59 »
You can give a whole range of stuff, apart from meat of course.   Also leave the treat till late afternoon, let them fill up on their layers pellets as it these they need to lay the eggs.   My girls get a handfull of corn scattered on the grass before bed,  any left overs from dinner, like mashed potatoe, spagetti, corn, stuff like that, mine also love grapes, bannana and a bit of apple but only in small moderations, they also love the crust of toast and abit of brown bread, although i wet that first before i give it them incase it gets stuck in their croups.   Nickyx

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 17:33 »
mine love rice too!

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 17:41 »
I wouldn't give "chicks" any treats.  They need a well balanced diet in order to grow healthy and strong.

My chicks first went outside at 5 weeks (but this was early summer, so warm during the night too) and apart from grass, they still have no "treats" until they over 11 weeks old - when the cherries started dropping from the tree.

Only now, at 20 weeks (and they are all laying) do they get a cup of mixed grain (between 9 birds) a couple of times a week and occasionally half a melon.

iowrooster

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 18:19 »
Hi

Our girls love corn and mealworms. They also like red grapes( did n`t like the white ones), melon, apples and rice.  We have found that contrary to belief, they are very fussy!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 21:12 »
Mine are very fussy too, can't go wrong with mealworms although they can be a bit expensive in some places, and they like a habdful of wild bird seed. Do your girls have access to grass? fresh cut grass would be appreciated so long as it's not long or it will get stuck in their crop.

littlewitch

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 21:48 »
You could also try them with roast potatoes ( :tongue2: no I don't mean on the plate - just the leftover ones!!) also slices of apple and cucumber which ours really love.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 08:28 »
ok, the things that i have tried mine with and they love :D
cranberries, rasins, blackberries, mealworms,grapes,pumpkins(they stole them :happy:)cucumber, sweetcorn,peas, anything in the vegs patches :unsure:worms from the compost heap, snails, wasps :D,spiders, mice, bio yoghurt, brown bread(soaked so it dosent swell in their crops). when i first got my ex-batts, to give them a bit of a treat, i made a porrige with the layers pellets, added hot water, rasins/bio yoghurt and manuka hunny, they loved that! oh and if the manage to get in the kitchen they pinch the cat/dog food, i have told them they are breaking the law, but they dont listen to me....hooligans :wub:....they love rice, and pasta....and particulary spghetti.....of course all of these should be given in very small amounts (thats a disclaimer to stop sarah shouting at me )and only after they have had a good helping of layers pellets! chickens will tell you what they like anyway... have fun :D

xx
Bumpa bits

Started by Pony Girl on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 21, 2012, 18:39
by joyfull
xx
beak bits?

Started by oborne27 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 22:30
by Aunt Sally
xx
Little black bits

Started by flimbin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2013, 18:39
by 8doubles
xx
Flaky bits !

Started by jamima on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 15:11
by jamima

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 39 queries.