Council compost. Anyone using it?

• 31 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Council compost. Anyone using it?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 07:49 »
I'm happy the council have a green bin (well, its "Brown" around these parts) service, and compost it.  Way better than putting it in landfill IMHO.

I wouldn't touch the stuff (pity though) - apart from disease there are lawn weedkillers like Verdone Extra that explicitly say must not be put in council compost bins - I doubt everyone reads the small print, and even if they do there will be communication failures : householder sprays lawn ... gardener cuts lawn ...

I'm staggered by the number of houses down our road that have Brown bins out each fortnight though.  They have reasonable sized gardens and I would have thought they would jump at the chance of composting their vegetative waste.

Dunno about the rest of the world, but around here you have to pay an annual fee to have a "Brown" bin; and subsidised compost Daleks are readily available ...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 07:56 »
Same here, green bins are brown.

£26 a year of £15 via direct debit.

Oddly I've just "Verdoned" my lawn and having read the label thoroughly, I know what not to do, like Kristen, I doubt some folk make it that far in the instructions, they'll stop at the mix ratios.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 08:01 »
I think Glosterboy should give up a day a week to help at the council composting plant for free. He would of course have to round up a lot of mates as well and stump up some capital for the plant, then there's the transport costs, possibly bagging costs, etc. Put a bit of thought into it!
Our council use most of for land reclamation when they have capped landfill sites. I would be very doubtful of the sterility of the stuff, can there be odd cool corners in the process like in a compost heap. Some peat free mpc's contain it and I would be very doubtful of those - I still use peat based composts as I have never been convinced by the peat free concoctions.
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

SalB

• salslickleshed
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 09:48 »
Our Council is a bit strange! (aren't they all?). They don't collect green waste from the allotments , we have to dispose of that ourselves . I'm naughty and my friend who works on a golf course takes all mine away and sticks it in their green waste skip  :ohmy:

However , Our council do provide compost free of charge at the allotments across town. We usually get 2 lorry loads a year on our site . It must be OK as all the old boys use it quite happily.

We also get wood chippings and leaf mulch , again all free of charge . We don't get much else from the council so I'm glad of these small mercies!  8)

Keep smilin'
Sal
The sun is always shining .... somewhere!

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 11:28 »
We get a green bag collection (garden waste - not food) once a month, but Ive no idea where it ends up! Anyone in Bradford know?
The neighbouring council give it away at various times of the year, you just go along with proof of address and pick up a bag - which seems pretty reasonable and you cant go too far wrong with just one bag? Were always a bit shocked by the amount of stuff people dont compost/recycle - were the biggest family on our street and about the only whose 'rubbish' bin is never full to bursting!  :ohmy:

Etherelda

• Experienced Member
    • http://fernanddavesallotment.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 12:44 »
Our green waste (no wheelie bins here, just large paper sacks that end up going soggy if left for two weeks!) goes here:

http://www.dickersongroup.co.uk/Donarbon/composting.html

'Donarbon operates an innovative ‘in-vessel’ composting facility which processes a wide variety of biodegradable wastes including green/garden waste, catering waste, commercial growers’ waste, paper and cardboard.

Composting takes place within enclosed ‘clamps’ where oxygen levels and temperature can be monitored and managed to ensure the wastes are sanitised and odours are contained. Material is composted to meet the BSI PAS 100 specification.

The compost product is used as a soil improver, top dressing or is blended with soils for use in agricultural or restoration projects.'

I think you can still go to their site with a trailer or sacks and help yourself to as much as you like for free, which is good bearing in mind the initial investment of having those giant composting vessels.
"Do not sit supine in God's Waiting Room."

mark.carline

• Experienced Member
    • Photo Album
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 13:13 »
We have a massive green garden waste collection every 2 weeks and if we want any council compost then its free - as long as you pay for delivery which is £60.

One person on our allotment had it delivered and offered it around.  Its good stuff - certainly a bargain for £60 for about 3-4 tonnes of it.

At some point all these councils will do exactly the same thing - at the moment they are all trying to see what works and what doesnt.
"I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 13:21 »
Our council stopped green waste collection, cos the compost produced failed some tests (for heavy metal contamination, I believe) :(

Sure makes you wonder what was going into it :ohmy:

mark.carline

• Experienced Member
    • Photo Album
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 13:24 »
Our council stopped green waste collection, cos the compost produced failed some tests (for heavy metal contamination, I believe) :(

wow - whats your local council ? - Tonbridge & Malling  ?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 15:27 »

Must be the mercury from the tooth fillings in those bodies.

madcat

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 16:11 »
we have a fortnightly green waste collection from our free (brown) bins.  Cherwell District Council. 

They give away bags sometimes but after the notorious Gardeners world episode where Joe got all that compost free from the council for his rotovated allotment, our allotment society chairman (Full Marks to him for patience and persistence) asked the council about free bulk compost for us.  One phone call led to another etc and a very large lorry load was delivered free and dumped on the centre path for those who wanted to barrow it away.  It was our first year and we were very grateful for the extra bulk.  Quite a lot of bigger bits of wood and a bit of plastic chopped in it but not really a problem. No extra seeds, no (extra) blight or other pests over what was present on the plot anyway.  I hope we can have some more this autumn.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

swaine

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 20:21 »

YHS is the compost  that I was asking about. I should have put the name on my original email!

Thanks for the info Missycat. Fingers crossed I get a weedfree load too.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 21:49 »
wow - whats your local council ? - Tonbridge & Malling  ?
Ashford BC

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 21:50 »
We have free Council compost, and even free wood chippings!  Brown bin for garden waste at no extra cost.

Used the compost loads this year.  Primarily to supplement my new raised beds, but also for potatoes in sacks / pots - worked a treat (although I did follow advice on here and mixed in some BF&B  8) ).  No obvious side effects - if I drop dead in the next few weeks from compost-poisoning, I'll let y'all know  :unsure:

I work for another local authority and know that a huge amount of effort goes in to processing the compost and its used extensively for Council planting areas, and is subject to loads of quality checks etc.

Its all good - credit where credits due.

Bombers

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 22:15 »
We have free council compost too. (Thanks Phil, if you're reading this! :D)
It was black and 'red' hot when it arrived, and although there were a few woody bits in it, I tried a barrow load, and stuck it on one bed as an experiment. I Grew overwintered onions and, as a few on here will vouch, I did O.K. :happy:
So I will definately be using againas a soil improver this autumn. ;)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

clip
council compost

Started by luke34 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 16, 2015, 20:51
by Thrutchington
xx
Compost Bin For £5 From My Council

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 16, 2007, 21:48
by Little Miss Muffet
xx
Council compost

Started by luckypurplebutterfly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 01:27
by muntjac
xx
What to do with council compost?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 20:07
by MichelleC

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 40 queries.