Beans and fleece or not?

• 5 Replies

Sue32

• Experienced Member
Beans and fleece or not?
« on: May 04, 2009, 22:06 »
I'm a complete newbie to veggies, but lots of enthusiasm and getting very confused. 
Help needed
I have French beans and Sugar Snap peas ready to go out in the plot.  I've already had to put the beans into bigger pots and can't wait any longer as they need to climb up something. 
Do they need protection (I'm in the Chiltern hills)?  I've seen conflicting advise.
If so what & how as once I've put big canes in how do I put fleece over, if fleece is the right stuff to use?

Or is best to just put them out, take a chance and also sow some more seed just in case?
trying to be green except when blue

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Beans and fleece or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 22:15 »
The peas will be fine, just harden off gradually and then plant them out :)
 As for the beans...

French Beans are sub-tropical in origin, and for this reason need a minimum soil temperature of 16°C (60°F). If unprotected, French Beans are in all cases damaged by even one degree of frost. Where the seedlings have appeared above the soil surface and a late unexpected frost strikes, it is best to remove them and sow more seeds in their place.

So if you have some wrap them round with fleece (you can peg it to the canes) on cold nights, or be ready to resow if you lose them :(

Sue32

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 22:37 »
thanks - the beans will have to take their chances.  I've got some fleece but can't be certain to get to them every frosty night, but I've got some seed left.
Can I sow that direct now or only in pots?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 22:45 »
Well think you'd have to leave it a bit later for sowing outside, and you'll know by then whether the first lot are gonna make it or not ::)
But no harm to sow a few if you've got enough seed (and pots) cos they'd harvest a little later anyway :)

So it's whether you can be bothered really :unsure:

Sue32

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 10:01 »
thanks - I think I need to learn a bit of patience, curb the newbie enthusiasm and settle into the natural flow of things.  Can't fight nature!
Decided I'll wait and sow outside at end of May for later crop as that seems the best of all if the current lot survive.  If not I've learnt a lot.

THANK YOU

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 10:48 »
thanks - the beans will have to take their chances.  I've got some fleece but can't be certain to get to them every frosty night, ..............

Just put the fleece round and leave it on then. It would be better than losing them.

xx
Fleece on broad beans

Started by bomere on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 14:18
by bomere
xx
broad beans - remove the fleece or not?

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 17:33
by Salmo
xx
fleece or net

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 19:37
by chili
xx
To fleece or not?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2023, 11:21
by steven c

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 40 queries.