Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

• 497 Replies

joshbuchan

Re: Fox Attacks Warning.
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2010, 02:20 »
as a male i go when i got to go, i always have a pee down the chickens every week or so, it seems to keep the fox's away but the cockrawls dnt seem to happy about it ::)
also a cockrawl is good protection for a flock and have seen mine fight a cat that jumped into the pen ??? it was a big dark grey one and it acturly had a hart attack and pelted it.

i know a cat is not a fox but would u rather your cockrawl gets eaten or your prize hen.

joshbuchan

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2010, 02:24 »
also a trick is if u rasie the hutch like 8ft of the floor and have a long thin tree branch that leads from the floor to door, cutch grooves in it and u are sorted, the fox can move its legs in so it will not be able to walk up, it can try asmuch as it likes but it aint getting up, this will save u shutting them up aswell.

but personaly i cant sleep unless i know my cooks are safley locket up.

Foxy

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2010, 09:06 »
as a male i go when i got to go, i always have a pee down the chickens every week or so, it seems to keep the fox's away but the cockrawls dnt seem to happy about it ::)
also a cockrawl is good protection for a flock and have seen mine fight a cat that jumped into the pen ??? it was a big dark grey one and it acturly had a hart attack and pelted it.

i know a cat is not a fox but would u rather your cockrawl gets eaten or your prize hen.

Unfortunately, yes the fox may take the cockerel first, but then will simply kill the rest either that night or will come back later :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2010, 23:48 »
also a trick is if u rasie the hutch like 8ft of the floor and have a long thin tree branch that leads from the floor to door, cutch grooves in it and u are sorted, the fox can move its legs in so it will not be able to walk up, it can try asmuch as it likes but it aint getting up, this will save u shutting them up aswell.

but personaly i cant sleep unless i know my cooks are safley locket up.

I've seen Bristol foxes snoozing in the sun on flat roofs just a few feet above the heads of passers by. They are pretty good at jumping and not bad at climbing either.... take care.  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

joshbuchan

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2010, 04:23 »
yea but if u are around u should hopfully hear him making a noise, my hutches are fox proof but i am planing on biulding the run taller and putting a roof on it to keep the dryer when it rains.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2010, 18:15 »
What dryer is that then? :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Paul Plots

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2010, 15:15 »
I've not seen any foxes since Christmas... It was about that time I "dropped" a fresh chicken on the edge of the field on my way home from parent visiting.

Perhaps it was even further past its sell-by-date than I thought  :blink:

Nat100

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2010, 13:25 »
2 foxes jumped the 6ft fence around my garden the other spring and killed my 4 chickens at 3 0'clock in the afternoon so please don't assume they will only strike after dark. If they have young mouths to feed they will attack at any hour and they aren't afraid of humans either!!!

Paul Plots

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2010, 14:26 »
If they have young mouths to feed they will attack at any hour and they aren't afraid of humans either!!!

Town foxes are certainly more confident these days... they stand and look before casually turning and walking away... No danger to us personally - unless cornered.

nic.chad

• charlotte my pig
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2010, 23:24 »
we have alot of fox activity being in a farming area and i havnt had a chicken taken yet ( thank goodness). I have heard the horror stories! I built my hen house right next to my dog run and the dogs go off if anything is near, maybe this and the fact that my 2 cats roam my yard at night ( i know thats naughty) has so far kept the chooks safe? my chook house has no door, just a ladder leading up to a hole so the chooks come and go as they please. Ive had a crow come and steal eggs but a rubber snake at the entrance took care of that!

Paul Plots

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2010, 23:46 »
Take care with those chooks.... once a fox decides to pop in there's no stopping them... the dogs may help but.......

nic.chad

• charlotte my pig
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2010, 23:43 »
Very true...

Paul Plots

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2010, 19:58 »
Cycling from my Mum's place very late the other night I discovered I had lost my gloves (cold fingers)...

I traced back along my route and saw one glove in the middle of the quiet side-road at the same time catching sight of a fox watching nervously from the foot-path while trying to hide in a hedge.

One glove? Where was the other?

Nowhere to be seen....... If anyone spots a fox wearing / chewing a left-handed black glove tell  the little s*d to let me have it back as I have the one to go with it!  :(

hendreary

Geoff Davis. :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2010, 00:18 »
Eggs from that bird might lead to a whole new strain of fox resistant fowl!!! :lol:

xx
That time year for Veg

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 09:37
by madcat
xx
does anyone get to see their hens this time of year?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 13:26
by TeaPots
xx
Moulting! at this time of year

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 16:19
by LittleRedHen
xx
Third time broody this year, will this be last?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 17:22
by gracie

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 38 queries.