Hi, New today

• 14 Replies

cheriton

Hi, New today
« on: March 31, 2010, 17:10 »
 :)
Hi Everyone, This site looks interesting. I bought a Chicken coop yesterday woohoo :D now I just have to get myself some chicken information and chickens. I have wanted to keep them for years and decided to take the plunge. I have parrots (so will be most careful with hygiene) and also have a Bernese Mountain Dog who does not show any interest in my parrots so hopefully the chooks will be fine.

I was told Warrens were good as I would like eggs but want the chickens as pets not food :ohmy:

They also have to be quiet as I am in a built up area and do not want nosy neighbours complaining lol.

Thank you

Carol

ehs284

Re: Hi, New today
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 17:31 »
Hi Welcome Carol,
Warrens (also known as ISAs) are great birds with lots of character and give a lot of eggs. My observations from limited experience is that they lay eggs which are very large for their size and this can lead to problems with prolapses. Noise? Some make hardly a sound whilst others  would wake the dead. I'd suggest a word with your neighbours as if they know that the hens make a little noise
occasionally
(especially when they've laid an egg) but this doesn't indicate any problems and they do not greet the dawn so the neighbours will not be woken by them, then you may find you haven't a problem. Our problem with neighbours is that they spoil the birds. HTH

marianwhittock

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 17:44 »
hi

I also worried about my neighbours, who are very noisy and complainy.  to the point we built the coop while they were out shopping one day and have it round the corner where they can't see it.  they know we have the chickens now, I saw them watching them while they were scratching around the garden the other day but they haven't said anything.

When the chickens start laying reliably i am going to give them half a dozen eggs to butter them up!

Good luck

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 17:57 »
Hi Carol and welcome to the site. I think it's pot luck with noisy chickens rather than a particular breed, and if you don't get a cockerel your neighbours probably won't complain. Mine weren't too sure when I said we were getting chickens, now they bring the grand children round to see them and often take back a nice, warm, new laid egg to have with soldiers :D

suffolk chucks

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 19:46 »
we were worried too, but our neighbour laughed and said shed stopped her partner having chucks. (think we started a domestic) we have 3 spotted, bluebell and rhode red all quiet until i open the back door. the neighbours have been great (so far)
good luck x

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 20:41 »
Hiya, brilliant place to start to find out your chicken info!

Warrens are good layers, but if you want them as pets you will get really attached and then after a couple of years they really slow down laying.   I had warrens at first which were brilliant layers, and very friendly!

However, I would have a look at the pure breeds aswell. I have a really quiet bunch at home, except for 1 little black orp banty who has a right mouth on her! I also have a group of very quiet welsummers, with one very loud one! So rather than breed, i think it just depends on the chicken!

Have a good look at the different breeds though, they all have their own quirks!

Steve

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 20:58 »
As far as getting a noisy chuck...well there is no way of knowing! some of mine are worse than the cockerel :D hens are fab tho, and i wouldnt be without mine ;)

cheriton

Re: Hi,
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 10:51 »
Thank you for all the advice :D I just know I am going to get the chikcen from hell lol.  I am now looking at different breeds and thanks to this site have seen plenty of suppliers around me. the chap my friend told me about is okay - he has been trading years , but the shed his chucks are in is not the cleanest.

I was up until 1am coating up the coop in the conservatory so no-one saw :wacko:
. I too am going to place the coop out of site and put it in a corner where no-one can see. I live in an end terrace house, my immediate neighbours are lovely but 3 doors up there is Mrs " I don't believe it"  . Mine you I have had parrots for 10 years and my Blue and Gold Macaw can wake the dead when she goes in competition with the hoover.

;)Carol

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 13:01 »
Hi Carol and welcome to the site. Beautiful dog you have there! I imagine if your neighbours put up with your macaw there will be no problem with chooks! I'm gld I don't live next to a macaw! :D :D :D

cheriton

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 17:03 »
 :lol:  Hi Tosca, shes not that bad lol.  Though on occassion I can hear her up the road.

My African Grey went through a terrible twos stage - now that was bad screeching for an hour at a time :D. Add the Senegal , the dog and the daughters and the grandchildren maybe chickens aren't that bad  ;) .  Still undecided which ones to get......

There is so much excellent information on the site - I am sorted for woodchippings for lining the coop as I have a joiner for a husband :happy:

Carol

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 20:31 »
Ohh err, can you please tell me why you mentioned chickens, parrots and careful all in one sentence? I too have a parrot and often throw out the contents of the bottom of the cage for the girlies to scratch through and finish off. Please dont tell me I am doing something really bad...? Tatty

cheriton

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 23:19 »
I have now sourced my chickens (via this wonderful site) I am going to Hen House Poultry tomorrow to see Ben - cant wait :D.  I think we are now hoping to get different 3 chooks  layers of white/brown/blue eggs.  If they get on that is ;).

I am just trying to find a large box to bring them home in  :ohmy: or it will be a rush to the supermarket tomorrow to try and get one lol.

Carol

Elcie

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 23:55 »
Hi Cheriton as long as they are around the same age then they should be ok, especially if they are all introduced to their new home at the same time.  Mind you, some sorting out of pecking order is to be expected though!  I have a variety of hybrids who I selected on breeds I liked and colour of eggs and they are all doing ok.  Good luck and let us know how you get on!

cheriton

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 00:21 »
Hi Elcie, Thank you for that info- I have been working my way through all the posts and was getting a bit nervous on the noisy chickens one :D. I just have a gut feeling that I will pick psycho chuck tomorrow :lol:

:lol:Its going to be fun when the 10 stone dog barks and the parrots go through their daily repertoire - mimicing me , all the house appliances ( the african grey does a super smoke alarm, she has caught me out a few times) the dog barking, finishing with Old McDonald has a farm lol!! chuck chuck chuck in the background lol.

Carol

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 09:10 »
good luck getting the new girls  :D
It sounds right fun at your house  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Today is day 21

Started by krystal on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 19:49
by krystal
xx
Just saw this in The Sun today...

Started by Snap Dragon on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post February 18, 2008, 23:47
by spizanne
xx
Today is the day.

Started by kimT on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 23:26
by woodburner
xx
Outside today

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 11, 2013, 08:24
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 38 queries.