different ground

• 4 Replies

jason g

different ground
« on: August 13, 2010, 17:53 »
how often should you change the ground that your run is on?,also what if you have a fixed coop and run ,how do you get around it then?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: different ground
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 17:59 »
You would need to periodically treat the ground otherwise it would become stale and bad for them. As mine (apart from the sablepoots - who are in a run that gets moved monthly) all free range I will let somebody else tell you about treating the ground.
Staffies are softer than you think.

threeranger

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 22:05 »
How much room do you have for the fixed coop and run ?

It's not much help, as we are relatively new to it all, but:
We used to move our fixed (but portable) one every 3/4 weeks, more from the point of fresh grass to have a go at, than health. Not sure what the health recommendation would be.

We now have a 24ft x 6ft walk in run, and will probably section off different parts at different times to help the ground/grass recover.

We would also be interested to hear what others have to say about moving/treating....

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 22:20 »
If you've got the room, ideally you could put the coop/house/shed in the middle with a pop hole each side and 2 runs.  then periodically you could open the other pophole so the 'other' run can have a rest.

I have mainly fixed houses and runs, hard to move something with a concrete base!  So periodically I spray the run with Jeyes fluid when the chickens are either in bed or in another part of the garden.  Let the jeyes dry, then sprinkle the area with garden lime.  there are other things you can get for it, but they are more expensive.

Then my Brian rotovates the lime in for me.  But then I have a bigger area to play with.

But in the 3 years we've done this on a bit larger scale, I've never, as far as I'm aware, had any parasite problems.  Only the occasional red mite infestation!  :)

jason g

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 15:52 »
thanks for the replies .i was thinking that jeyes could be an option.the run is 6 feet wide by 24 feet long ,so i could section it i suppose

xx
what to put on the ground in their run

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 23:41
by viettaclark
xx
The ground is like a bog

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post November 16, 2013, 15:27
by pepsi100
xx
What to put on the ground in a run.

Started by crh75 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 11, 2009, 17:25
by AmandaH
xx
Roosting on the ground

Started by Cat on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 23:11
by Cat

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 39 queries.