Soggy ground

• 7 Replies

Bristolgrower

Soggy ground
« on: June 25, 2007, 18:46 »
Now i have my hens (6) settled in their house and run the ground in the run is turning into a quadmyre due to the torrential rain we've had,should i cover this with sand or something or just leave it as it is, there is not much grass left in there at all, idon't have room for another run so have to manage them in the one run which is 3m by 3m,if anybody has suggestions on how to manage them this way i would be much appreciated.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Soggy ground
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 19:43 »
Cover it with Tarpaulin or similar,  Hens will be happier on drier ground IMHO, mine are out side now with torrential rain and winds still nice and dry, still able to dust bathe.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Foxy

Soggy ground
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 23:15 »
I have sectioned a part of their winter run -and  dug out the soil. I intend to put a base in eg. type 1 -or gravel of some kind for drainage then top up with a good few inches of wood chips so they can scratch around in. (not bark/mulch too soft) I will have a cover for the worst of the weather and hopefully they wont float off down the garden this winter. This is just what I am doing - I am sure you will get more tips from the experts!!

Bristolgrower

Soggy ground
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 23:20 »
Thought about tarpaulin but thought it would blow around in the wind too much and rip or scare the hens,thanks for the ideas.  :)

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
Soggy ground
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 03:53 »
how about straw or hay?
it wont blow about but will stick to the ground

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Soggy ground
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 10:48 »
Chopped straw is OK but never use hay with chickens.  They may eat it and it will cause an impacted crop !

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
Soggy ground
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 09:43 »
I have put up some waterproof sheeting but my girls are really scared of it so have taken it down, now have a wide strip of roofing material from B&Q (about 5ft x 2ft) over part of their run, they like this as it acts as a sunshield too, its quiet so they are not scared plus it keeps their food dry.  I have put straw down under here too, when it rains they all huddle up together, this week they have learned that their house is a good option too if its torrential. Poor things, I have only had them 3 weeks and I don't think they have seen a dry day yet!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Soggy ground
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 14:55 »
Sounds like chicken heaven Kazoo

xx
soggy hen!

Started by westie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 18, 2007, 19:04
by Aunt Sally
xx
White leghorn ,soggy bottoms??

Started by BIG ZOOK on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2018, 23:48
by Sassy
xx
Soggy looking chucks - advice needed!

Started by tomtoby on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 22:11
by richyrich7
xx
different ground

Started by jason g on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 15:52
by jason g

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 38 queries.