how best to get rid of the 'volunteers' coming up thru onions?

• 9 Replies

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
i was dissapointed to see that id missed some of last years potatoes (i was sure id got them all out) and they seem to be coming up in my rows of established onions which were planted out in december. can i dig the onions out to get to the potatoes and then replant the onions, or just leave the potatoes to grow, or just keep pulling the shoots of the potatoes out as they emerge.   am i the only one who has this happening?  i thought id been so careful in removing all of them...... :(

LilacSandy

I still flick the occasional one out of a bed I used two years ago.  The main problem with volunteers is that they may be harbouring desease, especially blight. 

I would not disturb the onions, just take the leaves off the volunteers and dig them out when you take up the onions.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
Ha!! Dont worry it happens to us all - its almost impossible to not miss a spud or three!

Depends how much space you have in the rows - if you can i would pull them out but if you cant just cut under the surface - you nay need to do this a few times as it regrows

solway cropper

If you grow them in containers you never have a problem with volunteers.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Just pull the spud shoots out - unless your eyesight is really awful the "volunteer" spuds should be small and will soon run out of steam (definitely a better option than digging up and replanting the onions.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

Very carefully put a bit of roundup on the potato shoot with a painbrush. One little slip and bye bye onion.

Scotch Thistle

Very carefully put a bit of roundup on the potato shoot with a painbrush. One little slip and bye bye onion.

Crush the leaves a bit first, it helps the weed killer get into the plants system quickly

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
If you grow them in containers you never have a problem with volunteers.

Depends on how many you grow and whether you could make use of the extra ground space. You still have to find somewhere to site the containers.

I think I'd have a problem with over 300 seed spuds!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
well thanks for your advice folks,im glad its not just me then, im off over the road with  with a penknife at the ready tp wage war on them. ;)

Kleftiwallah

Have the same problem as we cleared a Jerusalem Artichoke patch last year.      Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
Volunteers

Started by stentman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 22:11
by GrannieAnnie
xx
pentland potatoes and transplanting volunteers

Started by brokenglass on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 10:01
by JayG
xx
Potato 'Volunteers' - leave them or let them grow?

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 23:12
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Garlic "volunteers"

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 09:15
by JayG

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 31 queries.