growing onions from seed

• 12 Replies

rowlandwells

growing onions from seed
« on: September 23, 2011, 15:53 »
hi all
i can't remember if i have raised this topic before but try as one may I've had little success once more this season i just can't seem to get it rite i know its possible to grow onions from seed because they are commercially grown from seed to harvest :blush:

so where am i going wrong do i set the seed to late and when the seed emerges should i start feeding before transplanting the plants into the Lottie bed

i did have some onions from seed to bulb but not very big at least not a prolific as my onion sets i have seen many onions growing if fields and passed many a tractor pulling a load of good quality onions along the a14 :mad:

i don't want to give up trying to grow onions from seed but a bit of professional advise would go a long way :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: growing onions from seed
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 16:00 »
Purely as an amateur.........

I had my first success with onion from seed this year, (The Kelsae).

I sowed them in January in a slightly warm greenhouse and then transplanted when big enough into individual modules. (40 to a full size seed tray).

Grew on a bit, hardened off and planted out in April. Bed was just forked over and chicken manure pellets raked in.

They just sat there for ages doing not a lot whilst the sets streaked away. I scattered more chicken pellets a couple of times during the year.

I think it was about July time when they suddenly took off and overtook the sets. I did keep them well watered and most are between 2lb - 3lb.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 16:14 »
Pretty much the same as DD, apart from sowing Sweet Spanish Yellow (early Feb), losing 30 of the 40 seedlings (probably through over-watering) and the resulting onions (still growing!) being considerably smaller than his ( :tongue2:), although still mostly quite a good size.

(Come to think of it, not that many similarities, although I too wondered whether they were ever going to do anything at all after planting out!)   :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 19:18 »
I start by putting seeds in trays - I don't bother transplanting - and I always leave them in the conservatory and always plant between Christmas and New Year.

In March, I then take them to the lottie and put them in the greenhouse, then in early April (and pray for no really hard frost), I then plant them out in the ground. 

I too plant Kelsea and red mammoth onions.

I do well every year with this method.  In fact, I never grow from sets anymore.

Good luck

Babs

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 21:09 »
My onion seedlings usually germinate well, but go brown at the tips when they have the first or second leaves. They do this every year and I don't know why.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 21:20 »
It's quite usual for any plant to lose it's seed leaves, so I wouldn't worry about it

m1ckz

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 06:57 »
i sowed my kelsae im dec ,on window sill ,in just a tray when about 4 inches put them ouside at home,they didnt grow a lot more till i put them in the plot aroud november,they gew well an i had nice big onions,got 2nd in our local show

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 06:58 »
Did you mean November, Mick? Sounds like you had them outside for nearly a year before planting therm out!

Totty

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 12:50 »
If sowing onions that are likely to get big, (Kelsae etc etc)  They need a long season, therefore alot of looking after when sowing around december time. Bedfordshire champion are sown later and therefore less likely to have any problems with cold weather leading them to bolt later on. Have grown both this year and The Kelsae were better though.

Spana

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 13:13 »
Theres a good short video about growing onions from seed somewhere here  but cant find it now.  Also one on making an onion bed for planting out your seedling onions.

Perhaps someone will point us in the right direction :)

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 19:15 »
For ordinary onions or shallots from seed, sow in Jan or Feb into modules, 2 or 3 seeds to a module, under cover. They germinate quickly and grow on in a cold frame or cold greenhouse till March/April. Plant out the modules as they are and you will have a superb crop. The onions just push each other apart, so no need to split up.

kosh42|EFG

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 14:09 »
Theres a good short video about growing onions from seed somewhere here  but cant find it now.  Also one on making an onion bed for planting out your seedling onions.

Perhaps someone will point us in the right direction :)
http://gardentv.allotment-garden.org/100/onions-from-seed/

m1ckz

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 06:46 »
lmao  DD   no i didnt mean november, i put them in the allotment in end of march lol 

xx
Growing onions from seed

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2006, 20:49
by Oliveview
xx
Growing Onions from seed - help please!

Started by maxibo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 21:11
by maxibo
xx
Growing onions from seed?

Started by Lisa62 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 24, 2013, 17:30
by GreyScales
xx
Questions about growing onions from seed

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 12:41
by Totty

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 37 queries.