Would it be weird? *going ahead*

• 23 Replies

agapanthus

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 18:46 »
Sounds like "The Good Life" !!!!! go for it!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Ruby Red

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 18:57 »
Why dont you ask along your road if anyone else would be interested in growing any veg, whether it be in the front or back . then you could share the seeds etc.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

vegikev

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 19:23 »
:) go for it , i was also thinking the same with mine. if your neibours dont like it tell them you would have no objections to have your veg supplied by them as an alternative :D
"mission"to grow bigger veg than my brother

Bludger

Re: Would it be weird?
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 21:05 »
Quote from: "-Cat-"
I know for a lot of the year they are not exactly a thing of beauty, I dont know if my neighbours would be unimpressed and think I was crazy?

better than a rusty old car or a skip! A small picket fence would mask it and look nice  :?
A big advantage would be that any burgler would end up with muddy feet and vegetable DNA on his or her feet !!!  8)

kezlou

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 23:40 »
Hi there, i grew some some lettuces, carrots, and various salad leaves last year in my little patch of mud (my patch of of is 1m width to 35cm L. typical Victorian terraced house) in the front garden and it worked a treat.
My land lady wasn't very impressed but soon changed her mind once she had a few carrots!  :)

Bit of advice though about growing in the front garden make sure your postman / window cleaner does not put his or her ladder or feet on your patch. This happened to me repeatedly all last year  was not at all impressed.  :evil:  

Kerry
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

-Cat-

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 17:14 »
Well I have been given the go ahead to do this with our garden. So Im now starting to plan what Im going to do.

I have worked out I can nicly fit 7 2x1m linkabord raised beds in with gravel walk ways in between. I will have a few sack planters on the paving for things like spuds, and a strawberry planter.

Now I cant grow anything to tall as it will block the light out into our house. But would like to grow some fruit. I was thinking strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. Does anyone have any other suggestions. I dont know if I would be able to grow any trees but smaller fruit yeilding plants would be great. Also suggestions of good complementary flowers that I can grow with them to make it look more attractive.

Ellkebe

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 18:44 »
I'd go for it Cat  :D   A patch of well kept lawn can look tidy but deadly boring, whereas a well tended pottager is going to look different and pretty - a sort of nutritious country garden.  Would love to see some pics in a few months time.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 18:50 »
We had cabbages in the front garden for years (not the same ones all the time) :?
always have a target
and an objective.

-Cat-

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 19:27 »
Right I have just ordered a copy of 'The Creative Vegtable Garden' I dont know if any of you have it?

Instead of being just a book on veg, its about making it look attractive all year round and plants that look good together, mixing colours, textures and tastes.

Looking forward to getting started, will be sure to take documented pics as I go along.

xx
Looking ahead!!!

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 14:54
by crh75
xx
Planning ahead

Started by Clueless on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 09:04
by WG.
xx
Weather ahead

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2021, 19:18
by al78
xx
Planning ahead....

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 12:45
by beesrus

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 35 queries.