What I did on the plot today 2022

• 125 Replies

Rob the rake

Re: What I did on the plot today 2022
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2022, 23:46 »
Dug 1/4 of a 12ft bed. Potted up two upside-down tomatoes (Maskotka), currently growing "right way up" until they're established. Frightened the bejasus out of a rat that didn't see me coming!
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

lettice

« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2022, 08:28 »
This week has been mostly the final preparation of my sweetcorn and bean beds.
But also built a small fence on one side that never had a proper fence of my potato bag bed, now fully enclosed with a small picket style fence and gated.
All done with old recycled wood I'd collected from other garden alterations and reused some posts from my neighbours fences that recently got replaced, removing the bottom rotten parts, with rest of post in good condition.
Don't you just love how easy Postcrete makes it all these days.
On my knees around the plot pricking out weeds and a lot of hoeing up all the weeds within the broad beans.

Sprinkle sowed out in many pots around the garden my saved Marigold seed.
Sowed in greenhouse for planting out next month a mixture of Chard; Bright lights, White Silver and Rhubarb Vulcan.
Sowed in greenhouse, also for planting out next month Red Russian Kale.
Sowed in greenhouse Hunter and Pantheon flat climbing beans, that will grow up one end of my runner bean canes, hopefully planting out mid next month.

Yesterday.
Planted out the sweetcorn (my Golden Bantam saved seed), runner beans (Scarlet Empire) and climbing french beans (Blue Lake).

Replaced one of my outside Gherkins (Cornichons de Paris) with one of the spares I kept back in the greenhouse as it for some odd reason got tangled with one of the canes and had actually broken its stem.

Just checked this morning and all my beans are looking very happy, have strongly wrapped to their canes and settled in well.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2022, 03:55 »
Finally got some much-needed rain.

I harvested the last of the usable spinach, pulled the plants out to compost. Planted Malabar spinach in New bed 5.

Chitted seed for okra, tromboncino, sunflowers, put those in pots, I now have small plants growing.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2022, 10:12 »
Put up the frame and netting for the tall peas, at last.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2022, 09:36 »
Busy day yesterday.
Planted my purple sprouting broccoli at the plot and erected a hoop cover to keep them safe from assorted wildlife.
After lunch crossed my fingers and planted out my crimson crush tomatoes into a couple of growbags and some pots. Hopefully they will acclimatise before we go on holiday. At least next week I can fleece them if the weather turns really bad. Also at home I planted up a courgette and a few runners in a broken plastic box for glass recycling. Pleased I have now stopped the in out dance with the tomatoes and runners hopefully no more frosts!
Keep digging

lettice

« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2022, 09:56 »
Planted out all my greenhouse and outside tomatoes this week.
Added the strings too for them to grow up in the greenhouse and a few small canes and strings outside.

The welcome rain has made everything really come to life including many more weeds.
So a good two days of hoeing and on knees picking out weeds trying to start on the paths.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2022, 19:12 »
Thoroughly cleaned out beds that had turnips greens, lettuce, and spinach.  One bed will have Kentucky Wonder pole beans, the other will have Cherokee Wax bush beans (I think many of you would consider these French beans (?).  I'm chitting these seeds now, I hope to sow the chitted seeds outdoors later in the week.

I also picked some snow peas, will pick the first courgette later today.

snowdrops

« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2022, 23:21 »
Planted 2 cucumbers I’d been given & 6 tomato plants in the tunnel. I know it will be worth it but it’s such a faff, trying o remember to loop the string around the crop bar first in a method hubby devised last year for me, then put the other end ,with a big knot under the tomato but threaded through the plant halo first, then install the halo & make sure it’s all in contact with the soil & then plant the tomato, burying the string & knot & then filling up the central ring, readjust the string without pulling out the plant, add the label to the open end of the string. No wonder I only planted 6  :D just got another 2 dozen to go, be done by September  :wacko:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2022, 19:21 »
I've been making bamboo tripods for growing Kentucky Wonder people beans. I hope to finish the tripods today, plant either tonight or tomorrow.

snowdrops

« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2022, 21:37 »
More tomatoes planted, plus some french beans- yellow & green & various lettuces, in the tunnel. Outside, planted out module sown petit pois  & various areas weeded & plantings watered. All looking a bit better now

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2022, 08:19 »
After putting in Kentocky Wonder pole beans over the weekend, I put in some Cherokee Wax (French beans), which are a bush wax bean; they have a short runner, so usually need a little support.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2022, 20:15 »
Watering, and hand-pollinating yellow squash.

snowdrops

« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2022, 22:46 »
Too much  :lol:
Planted out the chilli’s & sweet peppers in the PT, watered of course plus all the toms & cucumbers in there too plus the peach & apricot. Mulched the rest of the central bed. Got up most of the outside onions & all the garlic, weeded the bed & swept up the paths. Also swept up round the chicken pen & got the weeds out of the cracks.
Back this evening on chicken duties & watered all the beans outside & the pea transplants from yesterday & the first 2rows of potatoes (earlies) that have flowered
Picked 4 punnets of strawberries
E23594F0-D053-43BA-A053-7DA81C8C8E4E.jpeg
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 22:47 by snowdrops »

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2022, 15:04 »
watered, watered and watered...and looked in dismay at what appears to be a bad year all round :mad:

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2022, 17:48 »
Watered plot again at 7.30 this morning. Think I will have do a rain dance!!

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 55 queries.