slug pellets for 2022

• 20 Replies

al78

Re: slug pellets for 2022
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2021, 16:15 »
I don’t use anything & haven’t for over 20 years. Don’t find the need to either to be honest. Maybe I’m just lucky, get a tiny bit of damage now & again but nothing major.

I guess you aren't on heavy clay which is damp/wet for nine months of the year.

I don't use pellets, I find nematodes combined with copper rings suppresses major slug attacks.

cc

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2022, 13:40 »
The old slug pellets were banned but farmers took the government to court they court said it was done in an illegal manner.
The new ones if you read up on them take a week to kill the slugs. IE useless.
There is no actual evidence that the old one's are harmful to wildlife other than "it must be true" I am not fan of that sort of "evidence"
Either way if there is netting over the top there is no chance of birds or hedgehogs getting at them.
They are still available
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172729208178
Although rarely if ever from garden centers.

cc

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 13:57 »
As an aside no one has mentioned beer traps. I can assure you they catch slugs in huge amounts. Alas not enough to give full protection to your plants.

Disposable coffee cups can be used successfully as they are plastic coated. They don't last forever. Put holes in one cup put it inside the other. Cut holes in the sides, part fill with beer. Put lid on. You can remove slugs without wasting the beer or pulling up the trap and have to dig it back in again.
Something plastic is better choice if you want something a bit longer term than the non disposable cardboard coffee takeaway cups. Margarine tubs?

Also putting something down for slugs to sleep under during the day catches loads of slugs as well. I may try some pallet bits.

rowlandwells

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2022, 14:46 »
That's  a waste of good beer CC I'm going with ferric phosphate pellets as a trial this season and if they don't work to my expectations then I will be looking for something that does do the job but like most things some say there good some say there no good only time will tell

hopefully using fine netting will solve the white butterfly fly problem so its just finding out if these F/P  do the job?

cc

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 20:40 »
That's  a waste of good beer CC I'm going with ferric phosphate pellets as a trial this season and if they don't work to my expectations then I will be looking for something that does do the job but like most things some say there good some say there no good only time will tell

hopefully using fine netting will solve the white butterfly fly problem so its just finding out if these F/P  do the job?
Slops from pub. Free. Thanks for reminding me. I am in pub now and have plastic bottle with me.

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 22:01 »
I find coffee grounds ( free from our local Costa or Coffee #1 ) effective against gastropodic attack   :)

xx
Slug pellets

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 11:18
by Zippy
xx
slug pellets

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 22:00
by al78
xx
slug pellets

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 10, 2022, 17:23
by Candide
xx
slug pellets

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 28, 2014, 16:51
by icbradley

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 42 queries.