Cauliflower in winter

• 5 Replies

whaleroad

Cauliflower in winter
« on: September 28, 2021, 13:01 »
I started some cauliflower, cabbage and kale in the "greenhouse" (which has so many panels smashed and blown out that it's really a cold frame). I'm a novice and assumed year-round meant year-round. Now from what I've seen it might not necessarily mean outdoors. Or can I plant it outdoors? I'm in the south-east.

rowlandwells

Re: Cauliflower in winter
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 20:36 »
we grow our cauliflowers overwinter in modules in the poly tunnel sowings around October the variety  Boris said to have 85-95 day maturity but this year they did overrun this time but we had good picking of quality cauliflowers nevertheless grew the same variety for 2 years no probs

personally i think you could be edging your bets planting cauli's outdoors to the elements :unsure:

missmoneypenny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 14:04 »
Iím in London and have planted a winter hardy variety ( I forget the name). Personally I think winter caulis are best, they have healthier and whiter curds.

whaleroad

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 14:13 »
Iím in London and have planted a winter hardy variety ( I forget the name). Personally I think winter caulis are best, they have healthier and whiter curds.

Thank you. Some are looking quite healthy. So do you think it would be okay to plant out once I've got my brassica cage up? I'm worried keeping them in pots will kill them off as the soil keeps drying out and getting hard.

I have never grown any of these things before. My attempt at starting cauliflowers in spring was a failure - a mini heatwave killed off the seedlings.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 16:58 »
as I said in my previous reply our cauli are in modules in the poly tunnel and growing slow but if they do decide to romp away then i will pot them on in bigger pots but not sure about outdoor planting I suppose it depends on the weather because we always  plant our cauli outdoors come spring

missmoneypenny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 21:21 »
I can only say what Iíd do, and thatís plant them outside for healthier plants and less likelihood of drying out. Kent weather is similar to London, albeit maybe a touch cooler.

xx
winter cauliflower

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2018, 11:13
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
over winter cauliflower

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2017, 20:41
by Mr Dog
xx
Winter Cauliflower

Started by Steve.B on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 09:28
by DD.
xx
winter cauliflower

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 26, 2010, 09:40
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 37 queries.