The bits left in the rapeseed field after harvest.

• 23 Replies

cc

Re: The bits left in the rapeseed field after harvest.
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 12:02 »
I collect this too. I'm glad I'm not the only one :D . Not sure if it counts as 'brown' or 'green', but I add it to my compost heap and it rots down nicely.
Have you noticed any detrimental effects on your plants when using that compost?

cc

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 12:07 »
l. We've all seen the results of using municipal green waste in commercial composts and desiccated rape stalks are no different.

Glyphosate is roundup? I emailed them a few weeks ago they said I could put weeds that have  been killed by round up in the compost bin. It was not in relation to rapeseed.
Also in relation to the latter I am certain that is a different weedkiller, the one that ends up in horse manure??

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 12:27 »
Doubts persist about the safety of glyphosate, particularly with regard to how long it remains active in the soil, although you can find online support for any view you wish to take on the subject!  ::)

My view is that there's enough to potentially go wrong with growing your own produce without taking even a small risk that your home made compost may be contaminated in some way, so I wouldn't use this material given the choice.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 12:45 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Dr_Pepper

• Good Life Horticulture
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 12:30 »
Glyphosate (Roundup) is most commonly used to desiccate crops and has very short persistence. It is readily broken down by soil microorganisms in a matter of days - weeks.

The main culprit in contaminated composts is aminopyralid, a residual herbicide used on grazing land that survives the journey through the gut of horses and cows.

So in theory the risk of compost made from this waste is unlikely to damage your plants - after all it is ploughed back in and another crop is sown shortly afterwards anyway. That said, I would err on the side of caution and not use it myself!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 12:31 by Dr_Pepper »

Elaine G

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 21:33 »
This is from the soil association:

'evidence from several studies now shows that glyphosate-based herbicides, via multiple mechanisms, can adversely
affect the biology of mammals. Furthermore, the half-life of glyphosate, which gives an indication of its persistence in the soil and water, is believed to be longer than previously thought. Recent research suggests that the herbicide persists longer with the return of crop residues containing glyphosate to the soil'

Just saying proceed with caution  ;)

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 14:26 »
Hello cc. The rapeseed field near me was definitely not sprayed with anything before the crop was harvested. So I can't comment about the glyphosate/weed killer aspect. No problems with the compost.

jaydig

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 16:28 »
Roundup/glyphosate are not as innocent as they are painted.  Having read up on it and also taken a look at the Monsanto site, I wouldn't let the stuff within a mile of my plot. 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 18:19 »
Please can we try to avoid this thread descending into one about the absolute evils or otherwise of Glyphosate and/or Monsanto?

As has been pointed out earlier in this thread, there are as many views about them as there are individuals and pressure groups.

This site cannot afford a costly legal libel battle with the might of Monsanto :ohmy: , and for the time being the chemical is legal to use (and is the active ingredient in herbicides made by other companies as well as Monsanto). 
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jaydig

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 20:18 »
Please can we try to avoid this thread descending into one about the absolute evils or otherwise of Glyphosate and/or Monsanto?

As has been pointed out earlier in this thread, there are as many views about them as there are individuals and pressure groups.

This site cannot afford a costly legal libel battle with the might of Monsanto :ohmy: , and for the time being the chemical is legal to use (and is the active ingredient in herbicides made by other companies as well as Monsanto).

Apologies if I spoke out of turn, as you say, this is only my opinion.

xx
field lettuce

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2007, 21:47
by muntjac
xx
New allotment in a field

Started by KayA on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2021, 13:40
by Enfield Glen
xx
no more paddy field!

Started by Becci W on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 22:54
by andy135
xx
Field Turnip

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 10, 2020, 17:52
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 35 queries.