Bumper crop of spuds

• 5 Replies

JRM

Bumper crop of spuds
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:30 »
I live and garden on Romney Marsh, I've just finished lifting my potatoes and had a fantastic crop. I've averaged 6 1/2 lb per root which is far better than I've had in the past, two other allotment holders have had equally good results but the three of us are baffled as to why? We have had very little rain on the Marsh so cannot understand how the crop has been so good. Has anyone else in the South East area had similar results?

JRM

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Bumper crop of spuds
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 08:57 »
Hello and welcome to the forum  :)

I've had a good yield of nice, clean spuds this year, as well. Perhaps the warmer soil suited them, rather than the wet and cold soil they usually get when first planted  :D

JRM

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 14:55 »
Good to hear that you have cropped well. My main crop was Desiree, over 400 lb from 60 seed potatoes. It has been a good year for most things apart from shallow rooted crops, it's probably due to the extended dry periods. You win some, you lose some!

Gellideg

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 19:04 »
Hi JRM.
              I am a retired farmer,involved in growing potatoes for a living,and many years ago,when I was young and keen to learn,I was told that potatoes do well in a year when they "have a dry bed and a damp head". It stuck in my mind and I have found it to be true many times.
       As yourself and others,we have a very big crop of Kestrel,that we find stores well into Feb or March.I have lfted our first row today and there are no seed size potatoes at all.
             Regards  John.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 15:28 »
I wonder if the dry soil deters underground slugs and other nasties from either destroying the roots as they grow or eating them later on?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 09:34 »
although we where a tad latter than usual planting both our early and our main crop of  potatoes they never the less looked quite healthy good tops moulded up plenty of soil looking good

we always grow as our main Desiree and then a mix of early spuds as a trial we also grow some potatoes in potato pots and we always plant our potatoes in another part of the allotments as part of our crop rotation as you do

however the new potatoes from the potato pots where a nice size for new spuds they broke up when cooked so we tried the new spuds on the allotment and they to broke up when boiled  :mad:

then I looked at our late spuds dug a few not a bade size but some worm damage and some had blight so although the tops have not died of yet I wondered if I should dig them we usually have enough spuds to last out the winter we had a bumper crop last year that lasted us till June from the there plot

so I've decided god willing to keep with Desiree next year and grow international kidney as my early unless anyone can convince me to try another spud that mite not break up when cooked

xx
Bumper crop of strawberries

Started by weirdsowing on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 22:39
by surbie100
xx
Bumper crop of courgettes

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 06, 2011, 23:58
by ex-cavator
xx
Henry Handy Hints Number Whatever.Runner Beans Bumper Crop

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 14, 2007, 18:59
by brucesgirl
xx
second crop spuds

Started by sprinkler1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 18:12
by Sharon

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 40 queries.