My cabbages

• 17 Replies

Beetroot queen

My cabbages
« on: June 09, 2013, 14:31 »
I have successfully grown beauties this year i have 33 lovely green cabbages all with four leaves and will be going out shortly.

And 64 red cabbage are at the seed leaf stage with another 20 green coming up also.

What the heck do i do with them all. I am so proud i have always used the garden center before to buy plugs for cabbage and these are my babies, i cant give any away  :ohmy:

If looking at them did them any harm they would be dead by now  :lol:

Jackypam

Re: My cabbages
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 14:38 »
I'm pleased with mine tool, and my broccoli... Only trouble is that I only labeled the rows when I pricked them out into newspaper pots in seed trays, then I put them on the window silk. Then I noticed that the ones at the back weren't doing so well.  Then I shuffled them about to get a fair share of the light. 

Anyone know how to tell a cabbage from a broccoli plant?!! :blush:

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 19:36 »
I have my brassica babies that I have loving tended to for weeks.  I agree, BQ, if staring at them did them any harm mine would be dead too.  Also singing, stroking and chatting too,  and maybe the odd kiss too  :blush:.  I don't have that many mind you.  This year I have finally got into the swing of successional sewing!  So have 6 lovely cabbages and 6 lovely broccoli plant coming along nicely.  Then other trays of 6 of each at various stages having been sow at about 3 week intervals. 

Anyway, I tell my cabbage from my broccoli plants by the shape of the leaves.  Cabbage leaves are oval shaped.  Broccoli leaves are slightly more elongated with a 'frilly' edge near the root end of the leaf.  i'm sure someone will come along with the IT skills to post some pics  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 19:41 »
I have managed calabrese plants to the planting out stage this year, for the first time (slug attacks in the past did fer them)

but a little accident with the module tray left me with just two red cabbages (kalibos). All the other snapped off as the tray landed upside down on the slabs   :( :( :( :(

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 19:43 »
64 red cabbages?  How do you manage that?  If I have 3, I think I've done well (and always end up buying more in  ::) )
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 19:45 »
64 red cabbages?  How do you manage that?  If I have 3, I think I've done well (and always end up buying more in  ::) )

Premier seeds this year and they have all taken. These are the cabbage my son did and he must have put two in per module. Lol i didnt expect that many. We grow red cabbage to massive sizes on our soil which does worry me as our average size tends to be 11lb thats a lot of red cabbage  :blink:

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 19:57 »

Premier seeds this year and they have all taken. These are the cabbage my son did and he must have put two in per module. Lol i didnt expect that many. We grow red cabbage to massive sizes on our soil which does worry me as our average size tends to be 11lb thats a lot of red cabbage  :blink:

Hee hee!  That is a lot of red cabbage! I don't know what else to say.  I'm flabbergasted!!! :ohmy:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 20:00 »
He still has fifty jars of pickled red cabbage from last year. He eats it almost daily, cant get enough of it.

Will i learn a lesson and do less next year, probably not  :lol:

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 20:05 »
Wow well done!

I'm lucky enough to have Delfland plants just down the road, Brassica's were 10p a plug in the nursery last year, not sure I could make 'em so cheap myself!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 20:07 »
Wow well done!

I'm lucky enough to have Delfland plants just down the road, Brassica's were 10p a plug in the nursery last year, not sure I could make 'em so cheap myself!

I got 500 seeds for 99p  ;)

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 20:46 »
I know how you feel, I've got some wonderful looking cabbages and broccoli and not enough room for them. I'm just about to work out if I can squeeze some more in somewhere!!

Flowertot

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 21:46 »
Me too.  I have too many broccoli seedlings for the small amount of space left in my brassica bed   ::)

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 23:11 »
mine have also just germinated and about 2cm tall but very thing...should i transplant or wait till it get bigger

Jackypam

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 23:12 »
I've put a few together at one end of the bed, at least when the slugs eat a few I will be able to fill the gaps...

allot2learn

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 23:14 »
I wish I had the space for 64 cabbages.  ::)

xx
Cabbages

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 08:26
by fatcat1955
xx
Are these cabbages?

Started by lacaya on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 27, 2012, 23:32
by plum crumble
xx
Cabbages

Started by skywalker on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 22:18
by andy135
xx
Cabbages

Started by kizza on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2007, 13:30
by splodger

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 39 queries.