Growing celery

• 5 Replies

Claire21

Growing celery
« on: June 05, 2013, 19:17 »
This is my first year of growing celery and it is time to plant out. I have an allotment with carrot, parsnips etc and a greenhouse. I was going to plant my celery in the allotment but unsure whether to because of rumours. I have heard that they are not good near carrots and that they need to be kept well away from slugs. We havnt had any slugs lately but get quite a lot if were not careful. Could i keep my celery in individual pots in the greenhouse? If so how big would the pots need to be?

Thank you for any advice   :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Growing celery
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 19:26 »
Celery needs good fertile soil and plenty of water, so could do OK in largish pots I guess

Mine grows just fine in the ground though, and a few slug pellets see off any attackers.

A plot neighbour used fruit juice cartons with the to and bottom cut out as blanching sleeves last year and this worked really well
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 17:54 »
Keep it watered at all times and it will produce goog sticks. The root system is huge so whether you can suceed in a pot is questionable.

I have grown celery a number of times, self blanching and trench. The plants grow well enough but results have always been below what I accept as good even though I nurture them. By the time the outside tough leaves are discarded there is usually only a few tender sticks at the heart that I can chew with my stilton. I do not like braised celery as a vegetable and if anyone says of a vegetable "but it makes good soup" it is mostly because it is little use for anything else.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 19:38 »
But it's absolutely essential to make a decent jambalaya :)

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 22:45 »
Keep it watered at all times and it will produce goog sticks. The root system is huge so whether you can suceed in a pot is questionable.

I've successfully grown self-blanching celery in containers for years but you really do need to keep on top of the watering....twice a day in this hot weather and copious amounts of it, not just a sprinkle.

Lincolnshire Floyd

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 21:53 »
This is my first year of growing celery and it is time to plant out. I have an allotment with carrot, parsnips etc and a greenhouse. I was going to plant my celery in the allotment but unsure whether to because of rumours. I have heard that they are not good near carrots and that they need to be kept well away from slugs. We havnt had any slugs lately but get quite a lot if were not careful. Could i keep my celery in individual pots in the greenhouse? If so how big would the pots need to be?

Thank you for any advice   :D

I find the slugs only become a problem in the autumn when the weather turns damp and cold and when I've stopped watering them because there's no need.  Last year I didn't use any slug pellets and the outside stalks were nibbled but they can be used for soup, and delicious soup it is too. I've bought a second freezer to stock up on various soups this year but the celery has become a family favourite.  The rest of the stalks are just eaten raw.

You'd be surprised at how big the plants can grow and could quite easily crowd your greenhouse particularly if it's already stuffed with tomatoes aubergines cucumbers and peppers etc. so I would grow them outside if you can. If you put containers around the stalks to blanch them the container becomes a slug haven and it's difficult to control them because you can't really get to them and you don't really need to try blanching with the modern cultivars. Celery is just as tasty green and the white stalks are just a fashion like orange carrots so bung 'em in and let them get on with it. But water and water and water again if you want to avoid tough bitter stalks.

xx
Growing Celery

Started by NorfolkVeg on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 20:49
by gazza975526570
xx
growing celery.

Started by richie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 00:39
by aqua
xx
growing celery

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post December 10, 2020, 19:13
by rowlandwells
xx
growing celery

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 23:12
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 33 queries.