Blooming British Weather!

• 6 Replies

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
Blooming British Weather!
« on: April 23, 2013, 20:46 »
Got home from work today excitedly looking forward to seeing what the good weather had done to my plants (toms/peppers/aubergines/sweetcorn) had done in the conservatory with a good bit of sun only to find that half of them looked like they had been in the microwave....burnt to a frazzle with quite a few casualties! Soaked the lot in water and squeezed them into the already overcrowded cold frames in the garden. With it due to drop signifacntly in temperature at the weekend I can see the other half getting stung by the cold. I wish it would make it's mind up what it is doing! I need to quit work so that I can keep bringing them in and out while the weather makes it's mind up what it is doing.

digalotty

Re: Blooming British Weather!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 21:34 »
yes kev a cold snap or even snow expected here in the midlands
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 22:22 »
yes kev a cold snap or even snow expected here in the midlands

Snow!!!! if so I hope it doesnt venture east......
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 01:48 »
I would bring my tender plants in over-night and aim to stick them out each morning. It is a lot of fuss but safer than leaving them to bake indoors.

I guess the great British weather is one of the things that makes growing a challenge and all the more enjoyable when we manage to succeed.  ;)

The sunny south is due to be pretty warm over the next few days... sorry for those in the great far north.  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 02:57 »
I tried to be optimistic today and put up my portable greenhouse - anchored with many concrete blocks  :dry:

And found mice had chewed a large hole through the back and the zipper came away from the shelf about the last 1/3 of the bottom. Have greenhouse tape to mend the hole but no idea what to do with the zipper. Nights here are still very cold and I can't be bothered to drag many flats of plants in and out of the house so will wait a few days to see how the weather decides to behave....or not.

Christine

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 07:45 »
Tis the wind that is doing the damage here. It is still blowing a light weight hooligan and has been doing so for weeks. Even a warm hooligan doesn't encourage growth.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 10:45 »
The winds been pretty nasty up north too!  I've built one plastic greenhouse but not set it outside yet because I doubt it will last long.  Not sure why I'm waiting tho as it probably won't get that much better...

-C temps predicted on sat for me so will need to pull all my potted plants back into the conservatory, what a hassle but I'd prefer that they don't get frost bitten.  I've held off planting much on the patch after last years late frost but who knows when the random frosty evenings will end!?
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

xx
British weather.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 25, 2013, 09:46
by Willow_Warren
clip
All my rhubarb blooming

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 13, 2015, 20:27
by mumofstig
xx
Blooming Brussels

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2014, 15:28
by beesrus
xx
blooming drainage

Started by dan808 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2013, 07:46
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 36 queries.