Getting bread to rise.

• 77 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Getting bread to rise.
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 17:13 »
How warm is it where you are proving it?

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 19:15 »

It was 17C here today, but probabally a little cooler in the kitchen.

It's finally started rising. A little. Not baking it until it rises a decent amount.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 19:57 »
That's probably the problem, you may have to leave it to rise overnight in  those temperatures....
Bread rises better and more quickly at higher temperatures, that may have been the problem all along ..

snowdrops

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2020, 20:52 »
The first prove is always in an oiled plastic mixing bowl, the 2nd is in a tin, or a circle of greased paper. I've never managed to make a loaf that stayed 'up' after it had been tipped out of a proving basket, without some support. Although they looked ok, without it, they all flattened too much -  ok for soup dipping etc but not so good for sandwiches ;)

Thank you for saying that. I thought I was being stupid because one of the books I was reading said to tip it out of the proving bowl gently and bake, it will be fine. I was thinking that's the best way to deflate it.

As mum said it’s prove in oiled bowl then your book is correct if you’re using a proving basket for the 2nd prove you would then tip out very gently & slide into the oven.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snowdrops

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 20:56 »

It was 17C here today, but probabally a little cooler in the kitchen.

It's finally started rising. A little. Not baking it until it rises a decent amount.

Try putting it  in the oven at 70c, that’ll whoosh it, take them it out when doubled in size & turn the oven up before putting your loaf in.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2020, 22:52 »
That's probably the problem, you may have to leave it to rise overnight in  those temperatures....
Bread rises better and more quickly at higher temperatures, that may have been the problem all along ..

I hope that's it. It should have been warm yesterday, it was just under the heated railing of the dryer yesterday which are hot to the touch. Last summer we had the same problem. It was warm and the bread was flat.

Does anyone one know what people did in colder climes in times past to get their bread rising before central heating? Was it just keep it by the fire?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2020, 23:03 »
Here, in the winter, I have my gas oven on 'slow' setting which warms the kitchen while bread rises on the top.
I usually try to have a stewpot or casserole in there as well, to make it worthwhile.
When I was a child the rising bread was near the cast iron range, which was lit every day through winter. Some cooking was done on it as well, although we had a gas cooker in the 'scullery' which was a colder room, only really warm when the copper was lit on 'washing day'  :D

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 09:01 »
No action overnight and there's tomatoes on top of the tank so hot water bottles from last night it is.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2020, 08:22 »
Going on the oven suggestions but realising it was bath time for a pair of mucky pups; I put the bread in a slow cooker, in a water bath covered with tea towels to warm it up for a few hours.  The deep poke mark has filled in but I am not sure that it's rising. A little.

The water was hand hot (suprise) but not EEEEEKKKK hot. Which meant it would have been warm for a few hours. I'm going on heat it again on low for a few hours to see if it bestirs itself. Can anyone tell me if this is a waste of time? Should I give up with the bread?

This is all very interesting and it's going to end up as semi domesticated sourdough. Which I'm not worried about. But I have a pot of jam sitting neglected.

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2020, 15:46 »
Ahem, but I asked earlier, could someone please advise if the yeast we have in the fridge, after it went liquid, is still usable...?

Sorry to butt in an' that, but it looks a bit forlorn now..:0(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2020, 16:41 »
I don't know the answer, which is why I didn't reply - I suspect others are the same.

Googling suggests it only lasts for 2 weeks at the most.
Test it
1.Fill a 1 cup measuring cup (or a half-pint jar) with 1/4 cup of water that is 110 degrees (or close).
2.Add 1 tsp sugar.
3.Add 1 tsp of yeast.
4.Stir and set in a warm place undisturbed for 10 minutes.

After the 5 minute mark, you should see signs of life.  After 10 minutes, the yeast should be foamy and bubbly and expanding.  It should have expanded to fill over half of the cup/jar and have a distinct yeasty smell.  This is yeast that is alive and well.
If the yeast doesn’t bubble, foam or react – it is dead.
If the yeast is reacting very slowly or moderately, I would toss it and purchase new yeast.  Using yeast that is partially expired will result in problem loaves.
https://farmfreshforlife.com/is-my-yeast-dead-how-to-tell-if-your-yeast-is-dying/

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2020, 16:48 »
Ahem, but I asked earlier, could someone please advise if the yeast we have in the fridge, after it went liquid, is still usable...?

Fresh yeast spoils very easily and should be stored in the fridge from the off Mr G.  I don't think you should use it.  It is really not worth making yourself unwell over. 

Chuck it away and start again if you can beg some more  :)

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2020, 18:01 »

Fresh yeast spoils very easily and should be stored in the fridge from the off Mr G.  I don't think you should use it.  It is really not worth making yourself unwell over. 

Chuck it away and start again if you can beg some more  :)

Is my memory correct in thinking you can freeze it and use from frozen? I got free yeast from the bakery in the shop earlier and it's going in our freezer. Technical knowledge is not bad, ability is zippoo.

The bread did rise, it's now in the oven and not bothering to rise any more. So where has the oven rise gone? I'll update when it comes out of the oven in about 20 odd minutes.

Growster...

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2020, 06:34 »
Aw, thank you all! That's very helpful, I suppose I could have Googled it more, but when I tried, there was so much waffle, I gave up, and thought of asking normal chums, like here!

Now, had it been a 48Hour Turbo Yeast for strong wine, I could have bored everyone for ages..;0)

(We'll chuck what we have - it is clearly not in good nick)!

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2020, 08:23 »
Aw, thank you all! That's very helpful, I suppose I could have Googled it more, but when I tried, there was so much waffle, I gave up, and thought of asking normal chums, like here!

Now, had it been a 48Hour Turbo Yeast for strong wine, I could have bored everyone for ages..;0)

(We'll chuck what we have - it is clearly not in good nick)!

I was reading yesterday, people do, you can and the Ancient Egyptians added beer to the flour to make bread. Do you want me to look out the web pages I was reading?

xx
Bread Making: Nowhere Warm To Rise

Started by michellela on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

25 Replies
Last post November 07, 2010, 16:31
by Aunt Sally
xx
Bought bread tears, my bread crumbles, why?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 19:53
by Scribbler
xx
Bread , oil

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2020, 10:47
by chrissie B
xx
Making bread

Started by Debz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 15:20
by Trillium

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 54 queries.