Paths

• 14 Replies

brucesgirl

Paths
« on: June 26, 2007, 12:34 »
We are wondering what sort of paths we should put on our lottie. At the moment they are just compacted earth, with weeds.
We thought of grass, but it would need mowing, wood chips but they would deteriorate. Grass would look nicest, but what has everyone else gone for?

jack russell

Paths
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 14:32 »
hi

i am going for paving stones as i have collect plenty over the months I've been waiting for a lotty.  they are heavy but will save time in the future and also give a defined edge to path and bed, there are also a few left on the plot i got.

cheers

jr
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Paths
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 14:56 »
We've got paving too, but only because I got them free.  Some people use old carpets, but they'd get very soggy surely?  Bark or wood chippings laid over weed control fabric would take quite a time to rot away wouldn't they?

A lot depends on what money you have to spare, and what's available to you locally and cheaply

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Paths
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 15:17 »
I use old carpet on the paths, fluffy side down.  They are fine in wet weather, and surprisingly clean to walk on, as the mud washes away in the rain.  They've lasted a year with no deterioration so far, and were all bin-dived out of skips.  Here's a pic taken last year:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Paths
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 19:53 »
I use Grass paths, look superb, but yep they do need maintance, once every two weeks it gets cut.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

emmalm

• http://plot71.blogspot.com
Paths
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 19:31 »
I'm going for bark chip paths with liner. Fortunately I have a local free source of the chippings, who's details I was given by another lottie holder. So if you did want to go for that option maybe worth an ask around. Some councils also will get their works departments to drop off chippings maybe another source to try.
Em x

not organic, but cutting down on the chemicals

Ice

• muck spreader
Paths
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 19:54 »
Don't forget to check your lotty rules and regs first.
Cheese makes everything better.

David.

Paths
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 21:38 »
I you rotovate, something you can remove  easily helps.

I make temporary (one year) paths out of a  paper/cardboard/etc. base with stable/chicken run straw on top.

brucesgirl

Paths
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 08:46 »
I still have a yearning for grass, and my husband first moaned but when I showed him that you can get lovely new push mowers he started coming round to the idea.

splodger

Paths
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 10:55 »
i inherited a plot  with grass paths - more grass than beds though :roll:

i intend to make larger, raised beds on the plot - with each bed riddled - to get rid of the stones. this will take me a long time - and generate an awful lot of excess stone - so i intend to use the stone to replace the grass on the paths - i will need to compact the stone - and will only use a thin layer of stone - so that i can still use a wheelbarrow around the plot.

i will probably keep a bit of grass  - because it can look smart if kept in check.

milkman

Paths
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 10:58 »
if you want grass go for grass - I invested in a handmower - a qualcast panther 30 which didn't break the bank at about £35 - lightweight, adjustable cutting heights, grass collection box - does my grass paths at the lottie and the lawn at home, and no petrol or cables to worry about.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

David.

Paths
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 19:59 »
Quote from: "splodger"
i intend to use the stone to replace the grass on the paths - i will need to compact the stone - and will only use a thin layer of stone

Won't a stony/topsoil mix be difficult to keep pernicious, perennial weeds out of?

alfagardener

Paths
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 22:37 »
We are in the process of digging up our grass paths because of the extra work they create. We are going to have compacted soil instead which will increase the area that we can plant and allow more flexibility in the layout of the plot.

andrea is ere

PATHS
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 20:38 »
I JUST PUT A AD IN LOCAL PAPER SAYIN PAVERS WANTED Y WASTE YR PETROL TAKIN THEM TO TIP I'LL TAKE THEM FOR FREE
grow yr own life life to the full

leeky

Paths
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 00:18 »
theres runs of carpet bordering the neighbouring plot at mine so both of us use that, then theres grass paths on the other side, and then theres some pallet type things, but narrower that can be used as walking boards across the lottie or easily movable paths.

use whatever you get i say.  :D

xx
paths

Started by doug hutch on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 00:51
by Steven Rowe
xx
Paths best and worse

Started by dan808 on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post May 23, 2013, 23:25
by Annen
xx
Stone paths

Started by MoreWhisky on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 09:52
by monsta
xx
Constructing paths

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post October 19, 2008, 21:36
by Janeymiddlewife

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 36 queries.