Mushrooms

• 12 Replies

dub dub

Mushrooms
« on: January 05, 2014, 20:37 »
Does anybody know where I can get Mushroom spore plugs please? The place I got them from before no longer sells them.

Thanks

Beetroot Queen

Re: Mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 20:45 »
I have never managed to grow mushrooms well......... Not real ones lol
 I tried some of those cheap kits but they never worked.

How do you do yours, and how do you grow them. Would love to try again. Sorry that didnt answer your question but i'd love to try.

The Red Baron

• Total newbie to all this green lark but willing!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 20:57 »
Suttons seeds do them.....was thinking of gettin some myself...

Auntiemogs

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 21:05 by Auntiemogs »
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

dub dub

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 21:21 »
Thanks for the replies.

The ones I did before you drill what look like dowels into logs, I used Willow last time. I was cutting up a Willow tree last weekend and have saved two 1m lengths which I intend to grow mushrooms on.

Last time I drilled holes in the log, inserted the dowels so they were near to the surface, then put the log in a bin liner and buried it for a year in the ground. Then it gives mushrooms for a couple of years.

I tried the kits with the compost, but I keep forgetting to mist them, and I just end up with a box of dry compost!!

I've been looking through Ebay but all I can find is magic mushroom kits, which isn't exactly what I was looking for!!

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 23:31 »
I'm giving one of those mushroom kits a go as a pet project over the winter. I was hoping to see bunches of them growing, but I've only harvested one mushroom thus far :/

Don't get me wrong, it was a very tasty mushroom. But I was hoping for it to be a bit more productive... especially given they're not particularly cost efficient and are to be thrown after three or four flushes.

My one came with a bunch of insect eggs, as seemingly out of nowhere the box was filled with little flies. I've been chucking them outside during misting by shaking the lid out there.

3759allen

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 00:27 »
there are lots of mushroom spores for sale on ebay, just search mushroom and click the garden section then plants and bulbs i think.

i'm hoping to grow some on manure and rotten straw under a big hedge this year. there was mushrooms growing naturally in the area before i landscaped and put the border in. so i'm hoping they will be happy enough in the conditions.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 08:42 »
The mushroom growing kits are very good and I have had some super productive ones, but as people have mentioned, if you forget about them they do dry out and won't produce.
I've bought the mushroom grains to try this year on a tub of well rotted farmyard manure - they like the dark too incidently.

Oh, and watch where you put your tub/kit as they also produce a million little flies as well ::)

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 09:52 »

Anne Miller does really good quality spawn.
I have used her for oyster spawn in the past.
I now multiply up my own grain spawn and keep it in the fridge from year to year.
Not so hard to produce your own dowels either, once you have learned some basic semi sterile technique.

Nick
These are just my opinions based on what I have read, the filters my brain uses as a product of my upbringing, and the experiences I have had growing food. I am not intending to convince anyone I am right, just supply my opinion when it is asked for. I am also open to changing my opinions! Nick

diospyros

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 21:04 »
I bought some "everyday value" mushrooms which had rather large lumps of compost and rooty looking stuff attached to the stalks, so I buried them just under the surface of the lawn.  No idea if they will grow! I also accidentally uprooted a bluish coloured edible looking mushroom (blewit?) whilst laying the hedge, so I tried to replant that too at the base of one of the compost heaps.  Fungi are a bit mysterious aren't they!

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 21:24 »
that sounds really interesting what type where they please? and did you just leave the log outside after the burial.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

dub dub

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 21:53 »
Yeah, I just left it outside behind the shed. We did Oyster last time, but going for some different ones this time I think.

I didn't know you could do them in straw, but I think I will stick to logs as they produce for a few years with minimum effort, and I can move them if there in the way.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas.  :)

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 22:30 »
Yes i'd like to do logs under the fruit trees seems natural.

xx
Mushrooms

Started by digby on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2008, 09:19
by paintedlady
xx
Mushrooms

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 02, 2011, 18:44
by mumofstig
xx
Mushrooms

Started by Butterhead on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2015, 18:49
by Annen
xx
I've got mushrooms ....

Started by PurplePixie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 03, 2012, 18:21
by PurplePixie

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 39 queries.