Potato plants from peelings

• 6 Replies

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
Potato plants from peelings
« on: May 27, 2017, 13:34 »
I have a patch of garden that I have been using to grow strawberries on for the last 6 years, but last year's were really poor so I have moved them to another bed (and they already appear to be doing much better).  The soil they left behind is really impoverished, so I have been spreading the contents of my kitchen caddy over it and digging it in over the winter, thinking it might improve the soil a bit.   I now have 8 4" high potato plants that appear to have sprouted from the peelings, and they already have marble-sized potatoes appearing.

I'm very tempted to leave them for this year to see what happens - am I wasting my time, or have I been wasting money on seed potatoes all these years?
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Potato plants from peelings
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 14:03 »
You've not been wasting money on seed spuds, as they are certified.

Growing from potato peelings carries the same higher risk of carrying over diseases as planting the whole potato.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 23:14 »
A long, long time ago I learned not to put potato peelings or tomato seeds in the compost.....it really is annoying having spuds and toms popping up all over the veg plot.

lettice

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 10:30 »
Yeh, learnt that a long time ago, to not scatter the peelings on the ground or in the compost bin.
But I just whiz the potato peelings up in a mixer, so they are small bits, not seen a rogue potato growing.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 10:43 »
Reckon it also depends on what you use to peel your spuds - my potato peeler only slices deep enough to remove the skin, so the eyes aren't generally left intact to produce shoots in the compost bin.

I would have thought that you are much more likely to keep the eyes intact using a knife (unless you just happen to be a brain surgeon of course!  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 16:05 »
All mine go into the compost bin,potato peelings,tomato seeds etc, I just weed any out that appear on the plot after all weeds are just plants in the wrong place for us gardeners
Not sure if it works both ways but it isn't recommended to grow strawberries where you've had potatoes recently or near to where potatoes are growing.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 16:08 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 18:25 »
You're lucky to get some plants from peelings, most of my Pentland Javelin just haven't shown at all...

:0/

And the compost heap is just covered in halms from last year!

Blight alert time for these volunteers?

xx
potato peelings in the compost?

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 18:44
by sunshineband
xx
Potato peelings on compost heaps

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 06:47
by Clampit
xx
Potato Plants gone mad?

Started by aec on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 19:37
by aec
xx
Potato Plants

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 19:54
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 39 queries.