Emphasima

• 10 Replies

Bristolgrower

Emphasima
« on: June 18, 2007, 12:53 »
After getting the ok from the council, we bought a new henhouse and made a nice size chicken pen only for a voice over the wall to the property neighbouring the allotment to tell me there is no way i'm having chickens there for one reason and another and finally came up with the fact that his wife suffers from emphasima and the feathers and smell will blow over to his garden and make it worse.

To cut a long story short he had somebody out from the council and they said that as long as we keep to certain conditions (which we had already set out and sent in before we even bought the hen house etc.) then everybody will be happy the following day whilst we were working on our allotment he turned up again and this time started videoing our every move, has anybody else had problems like this and does anybody know if there is any link between keeping hens outdoors and emphasima.

cluckingmad

Emphasima
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 13:22 »
Emphysema is a disease in which the walls of the air sacs in the lungs (alveoli) are progressively destroyed.  In the majority of cases it is caused by smoking and rarely by an inherited condition where the person is deficient in a chemical known as alpha1-antitrypsin.  As the disease progresses the person becomes increasingly short of breath, leading to hospital admissions when the condition is exacerbated.  This can be a very frightening and worrying time for people involved.  There is no reversal treatment.  The chap is mostly likely frightened that your chickens will lead to this.  I can find no information linking emphysema to chickens - I'm sure if they are cleaned out fairly regularly minimising any pongs (especially if we get any more sunshine back!!) there should be no problem.  I'm sure there will be advice from others shortly with more ideas.  I know the videotaping is probably intimidating but I would just take it with a pinch of salt.  Hopefully his fears will be quashed when he sees how well you look after them :)
Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty minutes.  No reward is offered for they are gone forever. (Horace Mann)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Emphasima
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 16:04 »
I'd agree with cluckingmad.  Make sure your husbandry is good.  There can then be no cause for the council to reverse their decision as there will be no medical grounds.

Foxy

Emphasima
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 21:12 »
Hi there
Sounds like he is very anxious, hardly surprising. Wonder if offering some free eggs might help - as they are so healthy, might break the ice a bit?

mercury

Emphasima
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 22:23 »
Theres two chaps on our site that suffer with this condition, they both keep poultry, and neither of them suffer any ill effects from the hens :)

Bristolgrower

Emphasima
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 18:06 »
Thankyou for your comments guys (and gals!!), the latest is he said that as long as we keep to guidelines (that i had already agreed with with the council), that the feathers didn't blow into his garden and the smell is kept down, which i comply with then everyone will be happy,today i found out that he has contacted the council and is going to sue them over this and they are going to the papers........a week ago i saw them with friends in the back garden of which more than one was smoking which is the number one cause of emphasima....the mind boggles.....still i'm biting my lip and carrying on, the girls are settling in well and we are getting 2 to 3 eggs a day which we are happy with.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Emphasima
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 20:52 »
Why's he suing the Council?  Because they gave you permission for your birds?  Seems like he doesn't know if he's coming or going, would be sad, but when you mentioned about they had people around smoking, well.....  OH's Dad had emphysema, and it was purely from all the Old Holborn he used to smoke.

Hope he doesn't keep trying to cause trouble for you.

mercury

Emphasima
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 21:00 »
Why can't people live and let live, sounds like he's one of those types who likes nitpicking, or maybe a control freak :?  :wink:

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
Emphasima
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 22:23 »
Well there is always one. Tend to be the ones that have nothing better to do than curtain twitch  :lol:

I was trying to wait until we make our move to semi-rural life but proving very difficult as it feels like forever so I am hoping our neighbours won't mind if we get them before because our garden has 6 gardens backing onto it because we are on a corner nearly! I keep pointing out to hubby can't be any noisier than our kids or the neighbours daft dog that barks at us everytime its in the garden. Luckily though were are pretty enclosed by trees, hedges and conifers.

My mother-in-law has severe asthma and is allegic to everything under the sun but thinks us getting hens is great  :?
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

TonyB

Emphasima
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 20:58 »
Neighbour from Hell ... been there, not a nice experience :(  
Either (1) completely ignore him, and do precisely what you want and are doing, knowing that you are sticking to agreed procedures and wha tyou are doing is acceptable, or (2), do something so massive, that he backs off ... and from your scripts, you should best stick to (1), enjoy yourself, and simply pity the daft sod.   If it was me, I'd have my oil-drum incinerator going 24x7 until he shuts up, or agrees to stop annoying you. Ash could then go on the compost heap....  :D

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Emphasima
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 08:03 »
Remember the saying "Don't get mad get even" :twisted:

Enjoy your chickens  :)

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 38 queries.