More raised beds!

• 28 Replies

EddieJ

Re: More raised beds!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 16:25 »
Eddie,  I'm sure you've done it already but please make sure the sunken tank is covered when not in use to prevent small animals e.g. hedgehogs from falling in and drowning !

Don't worry, that would be more than my life  is worth! ;)
Normally there is a cover across it the tank that the watering cans sit on, and I have also now drained it empty ready for the winter ahead.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 20:20 by EddieJ »

Yabba

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 19:37 »
with all tanks apart from the first linked together top and bottom.

Why?

Sorry, I'm blonde but I really racked my brains but I'm lost as to why all are joined at the top, including first, and rest are joined top and bottom?

Best i could come up with, after several hours of blonde scratching of head, was something to do with vacuums, explained the pressure but failed to explain the first tank :(

Not that I'm ever gonna have 6 IBC's in my foreseeable future, just curious ;)

¥

EddieJ

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 20:30 »
The first tank also acts as a sediment tank to catch any rubbish that may and does enter. I can then just open the bottom valve without loosing water from the other tanks.
The first tank fills and then overflows into the second, and by having top and bottom pipe work I can control/shut off any tank without interfering with the rest. I probably haven't explained it very well, but it does work.
There are also two taps fitted into the system to run a hose from, and if a blockage ever occurs in the top overflow, I can rod it from either end by simply removing bung that is fitted.

Yabba

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 09:23 »
Ah, now I see, thanks for the explanation ... all I need now is 6 IBC's :D

¥

Spana

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 09:36 »
 So many good ideas,i think you should apply to go into the yellow book. :)

BTW, where are you :)

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 16:12 »
Excellent job, what have you used on your paths?
I came I saw I grew my own veg

EddieJ

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 21:41 »

So many good ideas,i think you should apply to go into the yellow book. :)

BTW, where are you :)

Yellow book as in BT? Do people still look at that? ;)

Sorry, I meant to fill out my profile and forgot. I'm from darkest east Sussex.

Excellent job, what have you used on your paths?

Thanks.

I'm afraid that with everything else that I do I always go OTT and never do things by half.

The pathways were obviously first dug out, I then laid a terram 1000, followed by compacted crushed concrete and hardcore, then finished te pathways off with Fittleworth stone. It still isn't finished yet, as te last stone was te wrong size, and I am now having to dig up the stone that has already been laid, add the new stone, then lay the old stone back over again. It's something that I could really do without, but sadly the second load of stone was just to big to use.

Hardcore.

Pathways showing the  terram.

The second load of stone that was so coarse. Also note the three wheel barrows and only me doing the work. You have to be efficient in what you do!! :D

Wrong stone laid.

Correct stone laid.

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 16:58 »
Thanks for your reply, like your photos too

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 13:06 »
looks fantastic! You are certainly a perfectionist. I am both impressed and deeply jealous...

EddieJ

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 15:17 »
looks fantastic! You are certainly a perfectionist. I am both impressed and deeply jealous...

Thanks.  :)

As well as being a perfectionist, I also suffer from a major fault of being very self critical. I have always been like it, and it bugs me to bits. I can look at other peoples work or projects, and generally only ever see the good in what they have done. The only exception being lazyness.
If someone has made an effort, and are proud of what they have done, then I would never knock it and I would always praise them for their work.
When it comes to my own stuff though, I keep trying to reach an unachievable standard only see the negative. I would love to be completely happy with something that I have made, but just see it ever happening. I have come close a few times, but I'm not there yet.

Spana

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 19:03 »
Whats your star sign Eddie, Virgo i bet :lol:

EddieJ

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 20:21 »
Whats your star sign Eddie, Virgo i bet :lol:

Aries. :tongue2: :D

This goes to explain why it still isn't finished! :lol:

Pisces popped into my head for you?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 20:25 by EddieJ »

Spana

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 21:04 »
As well as being a perfectionist, I also suffer from a major fault of being very self critical. I have always been like it, and it bugs me to bits. I can look at other peoples work or projects, and generally only ever see the good in what they have done. The only exception being lazyness.
If someone has made an effort, and are proud of what they have done, then I would never knock it and I would always praise them for their work.
When it comes to my own stuff though, I keep trying to reach an unachievable standard only see the negative. I would love to be completely happy with something that I have made, but just see it ever happening. I have come close a few times, but I'm not there yet.

I could have written your post above which made me think you were the same star sign as me :lol:

EddieJ

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 21:35 »
See.. There I go rushing head first in without first looking at the evidence, and reaching the wrong conclusion. Typical Aries!  Must try harder!:lol:

xx
Raised Beds

Started by GardenShed on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post January 18, 2014, 14:23
by Goosegirl
xx
Re Raised Beds

Started by Sparkyrog on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post August 24, 2013, 20:05
by Sparkyrog
xx
Raised Beds

Started by A19_GRAHAM on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 23:12
by hightide
xx
Raised beds -

Started by Rixy on Design and Construction

54 Replies
Last post January 06, 2009, 00:00
by Salmo

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.