How to store figs?

• 4 Replies

pattypantastic

How to store figs?
« on: September 10, 2018, 13:52 »
I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for using up, storing or preserving fresh figs. I am lucky in that my friend who lets me grow on his plot (until mine is up and running) has a super fig tree that produces lots of figs, but more than we can eat at once without the attendant laxative effects!  :unsure: :lol:
Any advice would be much appreciated.

DanielCoffey

Re: How to store figs?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 10:42 »
If you have a dehydrator, you could halve the figs, spread onto the trays and dry  until chewy (10-12 hours). Marguerite Patten has recipes for jam, chutney and also freezing them.

pattypantastic

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 18:44 »
Thanks DanielCoffey you’ve just reminded me about dehydrators! I knew there was something I was meant to get this year.. :ohmy:
I have ended up making a balsamic fig chutney with the fruit but will definitely remember to look up a reasonable priced, decent, not too big  dehydrator to use somewhere in my tiny house. Any suggestions as to a good one?

DanielCoffey

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 22:09 »
I have an Excalibur 5-tray but they are not small by any means. I am sure some folks here will have the smaller circular stacked type. They tend to not be as efficient as the larger Excaliburs but are certainly fit for purpose.

Kate58

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 21:46 »
My sister has discovered a massive fig tree in her new garden which is laden with fruit.  We have made jars of fig chutney courtesy of BBC Good Food. I have also made jam from them (but not too sure if I like it as it is rather sweet).  My sister has dehydrated some but they quickly went a bit mouldy - I presume they were not dried out enough. She said that she had read that they then need freezing to kill off any bacteria but surely the mould would grow again once defrosted?  She has said that there are plenty more if I need them but I think I have enough chutney to last me for years!

xx
Figs

Started by Flowertot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2015, 11:17
by 8doubles
xx
Figs

Started by PeterP on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 23:20
by Alastair-I
xx
Unripe figs

Started by Spana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post October 10, 2010, 10:19
by 8doubles
xx
Figs - any suggestions as to what to do with them?

Started by Oliveview on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post November 15, 2008, 19:56
by Raycrete

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 38 queries.