No Parsnips

• 19 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
No Parsnips
« on: June 12, 2008, 17:31 »
i put in two 10ft rows of parsnips, and i have just one seedling  :cry:

am i stuffed for 'snips this year now? or is there a variety i can put in at this late stage?

I really wanted some because Julie loves them.  If not, what else might i plant at this late stage?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
No Parsnips
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 17:34 »
I've had the same problem for the last two years now. This year I've got 8 out of a whole pack. I can't work out why they don't germinate. Maybe a March sowing is too early. There has been a lot of dry weather the last two years when they were sown so maybe it's got something to do with that.

gobs

No Parsnips
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 18:02 »
Very likely. Cover with fleece and water through that, still can do and try if it was sown in about a months time, Hollow Crown is May sowing, not too much out there.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
No Parsnips
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 18:07 »
ive been working on the idea of the season being a couple of weeks late up here, so will get some hollow crown and give them a go.

digby

• Experienced Member
No Parsnips
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 18:28 »
Last year I had that problem, only had 9 out of a whole packet - this year loads, I put them in in February, alongside a row of radishes following some advise on this site.  Even put in a second row in March that are coming up great too.

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
No Parsnips
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 20:33 »
Digby what is the name of your Parsnips  and Seed Company?

Jazzbyrd
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

kezlou

No Parsnips
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 20:36 »
Hi Digby

Same thing happened to me with mine sowed 100 seeds none came up, just sowed another packet of them hopefully it will work this time.

I'll let you know if they come up sooner.
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

Bombers

No Parsnips
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 20:47 »
Just raked all the rest of my seeds in under the munty frame... and see what happens.:roll:  they'll only go to waste otherwise. The most success I had this year were directly sown in late March. took ages to germinate, but have now out grown those I started indoors (at the same time) with Richy's paper pots.
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Trillium

No Parsnips
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 20:50 »
Parsnips are really bad when it comes to old seed. Older than a year and the germination rate drops immensely, like 75% or so. In buying fresh seeds, make sure the pkg is stamped for this year as some stores like to slip in old pkts hoping customers won't notice.
Snips also like it warm to germinate, so anything you can cover the bed with, do so, and water often until you see them pop, which this time of year should be very soon.

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
No Parsnips
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 21:09 »
Ok folks I have the answer.

Save all your toilet roll inners for the year.

Then come March on to May you half fill each one with compost and then add one parsnip seed.

Fill the other half with compost.

Place in a tray either on a window sill, an unheated cold frame/greenhouse or out doors with a  bit of fleece or plastic bag the top. Keep moist.

Check daily.

As soon as the tiniest bit of growth appears. Plant the whole lot into the ground where it is expected to grow.
If it rots compost it
If it burns burn it
If it is chocolate eat it

iwantanallotment

No Parsnips
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 21:22 »
Makes sense, amberleaf. Or in Richy's paper pots, as many do.
Mine were germinated in buckets in the greenhouse this year and last (out of neccessity) and failure rate has been practically zero, even with old seed.
Got buckets full of them, and don't even like them :lol:

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
No Parsnips
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 21:50 »
I did try the bucket job but they got too big too soon and the resulting parsnips looked looked like something from a 1950s science fiction film made in Pinewood studios.

After peeling, they did cook up fairly well.The individual sowings, in my free bee t/roll tubes and no doubt, very expensive pots, so long as they are planted out pdq do give a parsnip in a parsnip shape.

The shape of the parsnip seed (this was explained to me) is peculiar because it allows just one chance for germination or else it dies. Planting out directly into the soil means a high failure rate.

Fine for those people who have developed the slight of genius to make it happen. For the less able grower (like me) the method I described works. It is a bit fiddly at the beginning  but the time spent is worth it to get the difficult bit, germination.

The guy who used to give me his parsnip thinnings has since confessed that sometimes he had to plant 3 or more whole packets of parsnips seeds to get the one row. The biggest compliment was when he added. I am going to do it your way in future.

lincspoacher

No Parsnips
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 21:56 »
Speaking as a novice, why do you plant seeds into the ground? Why dont you start all plants in the greenhouse in plug trays, fibre pots or ring culture pots, then plant them out when they have got going ?

iwantanallotment

No Parsnips
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 22:07 »
Quote from: "amberleaf"
I did try the bucket job but they got too big too soon and the resulting parsnips looked looked like something from a 1950s science fiction film made in Pinewood studios.

Oh dear  :lol:  Wonder what happened there?!
Must say, my parsnips have been perfectly shaped, and carrots too. Although they didn't grow too fast - and still aren't - maybe that's what did it?
Do you have a pic of them amberleaf, would love to see?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
No Parsnips
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 22:17 »
Quote from: "lincspoacher"
Speaking as a novice, why do you plant seeds into the ground? Why dont you start all plants in the greenhouse in plug trays, fibre pots or ring culture pots, then plant them out when they have got going ?

Because some plants don't like to be moved after they are sown, hence the phrase 'plant insitu' and in my case, because I can't get everything in the greenhouses that I want!  I run out of room!!!! lol

Last year was my best every year for parsnips, most grew out of 3 8ft rows, sown straight into the ground.  The previous I did the same and I got about 8 parsnips from 4 rows, and the year before that I got 1 parsnip!  But also last year I put 6 2 litre fizz bottles cut off top and bottom, filled with vey sandy soil into a large bucket and planted 1 parsnip seed in each (fresh seed too!) and not one came up!

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
parsnips

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 15:33
by mobilekat
xx
PARSNIPS

Started by EVIE on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 23, 2008, 23:13
by EVIE
xx
parsnips

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 15:06
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 38 queries.