Slug pellets going mouldy

• 5 Replies

DaveD64

« on: September 21, 2008, 20:58 »
Hi All

I've recently planted my winter brassica's (100 of them!) and put some slug pellets down (http://www.thegardenersshop.co.uk/organic-slug-killer-pellets---750g-653-p.asp - note other slug killers are availble from alternate suppliers  :lol: )

Anyway, the rains came and washed them all out, so I put some more down - and the rain came followed by the Indian summer - and now the darn little blue pellets are all mouldy!!!

So, I'm thinking of cleaning them all up - but not really wanting to as it's probably over a days work.

Question ... will the mouldy pellets (and I guess ferric phosphate) cause any harm to the brassicas if I just leave them to rot on the ground?

Thanks (in advance  :wink: )

Dave

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 21:00 »
That's how most of them go when wet, no I don't think they will do any harm  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

gobs

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 21:34 »
By the sound of it, you are using way too many! :shock:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

home made pie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 19:48 »
would appreciate your thoughts...

last weekend we took a wobbly  :twisted: on the slugs that had ruined our spuds and we went a bit mad tipping way too many pellets on the soil  :oops: we thought ha ha got you you b-----s

...yesterday I cleared the space where the spuds had been and without thinking I dug over and mixed in all the pellets...I thought "ooooh shouldn't of done that"  but eager as I was to plant my little onions, garlic and some red onions that I'd just bought, I carried on and planted them regardless...then spent all evening regretting it  :roll:

what do you lot think, will these little blue pellets effect the onions, I'm already thinking yuk I don't want to eat them, should I did them up and start again with clean soil ?

HMP

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 20:35 »
Personally I wouldn't worry about it, your not growing to strict organic standards  :wink: IMHO most of the nasties will wash deep down into the soil after a few heavy rains.
If you want to use slug pellets with out getting them on the soil then get a 2l plastic bottle cut a "letter box" type opening along the length of it, put some pellets in the bottle and lay it down so the letter box is at a right angle to the soil. Slugs and snails go in but don't come out  :wink:  Put a few stones in it it it blows around  :)

home made pie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 08:56 »
Cheers richyrich7 I'll stop worrying about it then, as I already planted them I'll leave it as it is...yeah like the slug trap suggestion, will do that
hmp

xx
Who has used slug pellets?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 20:54
by Brian_of_Bozeat
xx
slug pellets?

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 12:30
by Sue33
xx
slug pellets

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 17:42
by fatcat1955
xx
Which Slug Pellets?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2014, 20:18
by beesrus

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 36 queries.