Do all Jasmine grow to a similar height?

• 10 Replies

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
Do all Jasmine grow to a similar height?
« on: August 25, 2012, 14:07 »
Back in the spring of 2010, I bought a second white summer-flowering jasmine to climb up the other side of an arch on which there was already a very vigorous specimen growing.  Although I knew it wasn't exactly the same variety, I'd assumed that all jasmines would manage to climb up a normal sized archway in a couple of seasons, just as the original one had.  However, after three summers, this one is still only about waste high ... it seems healthy enough, but it just won't grow to the top of my 3.5 metre arch!!   :mad:  Any thoughts?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Do all Jasmine grow to a similar height?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 14:10 »
It can either be a shrub or a climber according to THIS and other websites. Sounds as though you got a shrub variety..  :mellow:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 14:34 »
It can either be a shrub or a climber according to THIS and other websites. Sounds as though you got a shrub variety..  :mellow:

Thanks Argyllie ... I think!   ;)   At least that explains it - just a shame they didn't make it clear on the label!!!!!   :mad:

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 14:35 »
Well, perhaps that gives you a reason to buy a new climbing variety and relocate the shrub? ;) :D

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 16:09 »
Yes, although I feel I should be able to use something from the one on the other side of the arch, because it sends out shoots (non-technical term!!) that take root left right and centre!  If anyone has any advice as to which bit to use and when the best time is to take a cutting (and what to do with it once it's taken), that would be great!  :)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 16:16 »
Yes, although I feel I should be able to use something from the one on the other side of the arch, because it sends out shoots (non-technical term!!) that take root left right and centre! 

A comb-over? :)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 16:18 »
A comb-over? :)

I have tried that this season, but it doesn't seem to like growing downwards!!  It's so strange, because the second one definitely has 'tendril' tendancies, i.e. it's more like a climber rather than a shrub, but it's just not growing any taller!!

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 16:45 »
Which jasmine is it?  I have a Trachelospermum jasminoides (star jasmine) that climbs freely through a fig tree against the wall, but it did take a couple of years to really find its feet and get going.

The problem with "jasmine" is that in common use the name covers multiple genera - not just species or varieties.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 17:08 »
Which jasmine is it?  I have a Trachelospermum jasminoides (star jasmine) that climbs freely through a fig tree against the wall, but it did take a couple of years to really find its feet and get going.

The problem with "jasmine" is that in common use the name covers multiple genera - not just species or varieties.

Unfortunately I no longer have the label - idiot that I am!  I normally keep them, but for some reason I saw fit to throw this one away when I was doing my spring tidy-up earlier this year.  I do know that it definitely didn't indicate it wasn't a climber - in fact, it was in the climber section in the garden centre I bought it from.  Maybe I need to have a little more faith (and patience!!).  As I mentioned before, it does look as though it has the potential to climb, as it has tendril-like growth.  
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 17:09 by cheshirecheese »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 17:57 »
Any chance of a close up pic of the leaves and flowers if it has any?  There are various types and some are much slower growing than others.  J. officinale is the really rampant one with long arching shoots that will root if they touch the ground.  If you can dig a bit up now with some root attached and get it into a pot, you would have a decent plant to put in next spring  :)

Trachelospermum is known as Star Jasmine, but is a different plant from real jasmine.  It has a different looking leaf and is evergreen.  It twines very much like a clematis would :)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 19:16 »
Any chance of a close up pic of the leaves and flowers if it has any?  There are various types and some are much slower growing than others.  J. officinale is the really rampant one with long arching shoots that will root if they touch the ground.  If you can dig a bit up now with some root attached and get it into a pot, you would have a decent plant to put in next spring  :)

Trachelospermum is known as Star Jasmine, but is a different plant from real jasmine.  It has a different looking leaf and is evergreen.  It twines very much like a clematis would :)

Thanks for your interest New Shoot - we're in the middle of a spectacular thunder and lightning storm here at the mo, so will leave taking a photo till tomorrow!!  Leaf and habit wise, the two plants seem very similar to me, but I'll take the photo and let your expert eye be the judge  :D

xx
star jasmine & clematis nelly moser - will they grow on north facing walls?

Started by bashful_badger on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 09:37
by bashful_badger
xx
Jasmine

Started by Rocinante on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2018, 12:14
by Rocinante
xx
Jasmine

Started by greetwellboy on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2014, 05:23
by greetwellboy
xx
Jasmine Trellis

Started by Lardman on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 12:17
by catllar

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 36 queries.