Lupins

• 10 Replies

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Lupins
« on: March 27, 2010, 16:33 »
Whilst out today I saw some pots of Lupins, the pots were 4" - 5" diameter, and pretty full of leaves, now my question, if it's not completely ridiculous is, would those pots have been sown with more than one seed, or has it just been grown well from one seed? does that make sense?!!!!! I've sown my own lupin seeds and just wondered if they're going to get that lovely bushiness that you see at the garden centres. Any thoughts would be appreciated (even if it's only to tell me I'm a dreamer!!!) Jude 

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Lupins
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 18:19 »
I grew some frrom seed four years ago and they are really big plants now. If I could work out the pic posting I will post some pics from last year.....must get a tutorial from OH when he has time!

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 20:15 »
Thanks Tosca, that gives me an idea of what to expect!

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 20:40 »
I got some free seedlings last fall from a friend who's a super keen flower grower, and her lupins were very large so I made sure all my transplants have lots of space to mature this year.

Spana

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 14:54 »
First year Russel Lupins tend to be single stemmed and bush out in the second year so I would think the ones in the garden center have been grown on for a year to make bigger plants to sell for more money

Slowgrind

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 20:17 »
Some lupin seeds that I planted last summer in 6" pots have come on strong this spring.
I forgot about them over winter and was pleased to see loads of new shoots a few weeks ago. After a tidy up and a fortnight in the cold frame they look like mature plants with many leaves!

tosca100

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 18:19 »
Picture taken today of three lupins grown from seed four years ago. They are about 4ft high and should have moved one this year but with spring and winter being merged together didn't get round to it. They don't seem to have been attacked by slugs, in fact the only things with holes in are hostas, even though there are slugs about. Very odd.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 18:22 by tosca100 »

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 19:54 »
Tosca those look beautiful and really healthy, mine are doing well in as much as they haven't been got at by anything, they're a little small, but hey, Rome wasn't built in a day!!

Missie

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 11:22 »
I have planted quite a few this year from seed,all from lupins 1 and 2 years of age,Gorgeous!:)
lupin.JPG
purple lupin.JPG

tosca100

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 15:45 »
I'm cross now! This morning I was admiring how the lupins have filled out since the other day. Went to the shop and came back to find one of the kids on the playing field behind the house has kicked a football right into the middle of them, breaking a couple of branches and bending others. We have planted a very prickly rose which covers the back fence to stop them climbing over, but they must have got in over the side. Grrrrr. >:(

iggyboy

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 17:49 »
Tosca,I know just how you feel! It makes you want to scream,doesn't it? I love to grow a selection of plants at the front of my plot and lupins is one of my favourites. I would see red if anyone messed with my plants,even if it was just a kid. Trouble is, they have no idea how much effort you put in to get your results. Dont let it get you down and happy gardening :mellow:
...the night was dark...they usually are!

xx
Lupins

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 22, 2007, 15:04
by sclarke624
xx
Lupins

Started by Pony Girl on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2014, 15:03
by sunshineband
smiley
Lupins gone over

Started by Antonius on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2010, 21:19
by Trillium
xx
LUPINS

Started by DadBear on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2007, 10:06
by DadBear

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 38 queries.