Re-homed hens

• 3 Replies

Robster

Re-homed hens
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:32 »
I lost my hens (5) to the fox in November.  I contacted the British Hen Welfare Trust to to rehome  some ex batts, which I did on the 29th December.  It was a dead easy process the people there were very helpful.  I made a donation to the trust which was optional of £4 each which is a lot cheaper than buying POL birds.

The birds quickly started to adopt all the propper chickeny behaviours and it was very pleasing to see.  All laying well and refeathering (slowly)

Just wanted to share this with anyone looking to start with hens or restock

bygrace

• Experienced Member
Re: Re-homed hens
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:18 »
Good on you! I got my first chooks in October and wondered whether to get ex-batts. Decided in the end not to - thought I would be better to cut my teeth so to speak on birds that were healthier to start with. Now I have just a tad of experience I'd feel more confident with ex-batts next time around.
Thanks for sharing...BG

Robster

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 17:41 »
BG, I made exactly the same decision as you with my first chickens.  Never regretted it.  Enjoy

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 18:11 »
Re-homing ex- batts can be very rewarding but be warned that sometimes the girls can come to you in a very bad state. I have just taken on another 10 ex-batts, unfortunately I lost one of them today as she was just to weak to survive. The others are doing well, weakened due to the previous life but all eating well and starting to come round thankfully though it 's early days yet. Good luck and best wishes if you do decide to go down the ex-batt route as they really do deserve a second chance :)

Nicky
Sometimes you have to accept that somedays you are the pigeon and somedays you are the statue!

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 29 queries.