wing clipping

• 12 Replies

Selkie

wing clipping
« on: August 27, 2007, 09:09 »
hi,

our two hens came with their wings already clipped; I was wondering if this was something that needed to be done every year - or is it necessary at all?

our run has fencing that's about 3 foot high so would the hens be able to fly out if their wings weren't clipped?

any suggestions/advice would be great

andy1

wing clipping
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 11:50 »
hi there,,yes your hens wings will need clipping every year after they moult,,you only clip one wing tho to create unbalanced flight,,and your 3ft high fence still may be a little low as my hens have a 3 and half ft high perch that they jump up to with no problem,,

calli

• http://greenwelliesbalertwine.myfreeforum.org/index.php
wing clipping
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 15:26 »
Hi RosemaryCTG :D

Yes Andy1 is correct - they will need reclipping each year. What breed are they? Some don't fly as well as others - for instance our orpingtons would stay in 3 ft where as the game would laugh at you from a roost up a tree :roll:

Selkie

wing clipping
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 16:45 »
not sure what breed they are - I think the lady we got them from said they were new england (?) crossed with a bantam something or other...sorry that's so vague
 :oops:

they don't seem very interested in flying; sometimes they flap their wings a bit (to stretch them) but I don't think they even go up on the perches in their house. they have a young sycamore tree in their run but haven't shown any signs of trying to get up on it; are some hens happier just staying on the ground?!

I was worried that wing clipping was a bit cruel (I know you just cut the feathers and it doesn't draw blood) but I don't want them flying out of their run and running round the garden either.

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
wing clipping
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 17:03 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"

I was worried that wing clipping was a bit cruel (I know you just cut the feathers and it doesn't draw blood) but I don't want them flying out of their run and running round the garden either.

Oh what a shame they are so lovely rosey round the garden but I am sure you have your reasons.  Its quite relaxing watching them hunting for bugs and treats in the grass etc
Sandra
x

andy1

wing clipping
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 19:16 »
Quote from: "slowef"
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"

Oh what a shame they are so lovely rosey round the garden but I am sure you have your reasons.  Its quite relaxing watching them hunting for bugs and treats in the grass etc
Sandra
x

i agree,,they put life into you garden,, they are a pain in the ar*e at times,dgging through your soil and plants,,but all i do is just sweep it up,,no harm done,,they love getting let out,,what ive done is ive left a patch of soil just for the hens and bury food init,,keeps them busy for hours,

Selkie

wing clipping
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 19:25 »
thanks for the replies; I wouldn't want them out of their run (which has grass/wild flowers etc and a young tree aswell as a log pile -full of bugs and slugs :? - and their dust-bathing area) because we live on a busy-ish road and have a greyhound and three cats aswell as various stray dogs/cats that pass through the garden.

but I agree, the ideal situation would be totally free range in the garden

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
wing clipping
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 20:23 »
It sounds as if you have provided them with a fantastic run Rosemary.  They'll be very happy there  :D

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
wing clipping
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 21:01 »
Wow can I move in too it sounds fab.  I don't blame you with a road in case they go exploring, it would be too sad to have them run over. :(   I think it sounds like they have all they need lucky chickens

Enjoy them, bet you get hooked like the rest of us
Sandra
xx :lol:

Selkie

wing clipping
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 11:19 »
we've had our girls (dora and daisy) since april this year and i am completely fascinated with them - could watch them for ages! i love how they scatch about in the grass,make happy little noises etc (dora always makes a special noise if you give her something she likes!) they are so interesting and the eggs are a bonus! :D

Bodger

wing clipping
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 13:38 »
Whatever you do, don't clip both wings. The idea is to make them lobsided so that they can't fly. You should only clip one wing !
if you clip both wings, you may impede their flying capabilities to fly a little but they will essentially retain the ability to balance and to become airborn  :lol:

Selkie

wing clipping
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 16:24 »
mine do have both wings clipped - it was done before we got them.

haven't seen them trying to take off, maybe they're just lazy :lol:

Bodger

wing clipping
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 21:29 »
Some of the heavy breeds and some of the dormant hybrid strains haven't got a fly in them :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
wing clipping

Started by walker on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 20:03
by walker
xx
Wing Clipping

Started by Floss16 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 26, 2011, 10:54
by Dominic
xx
wing clipping

Started by Selkie on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post November 13, 2007, 18:00
by Selkie
xx
WING CLIPPING

Started by Oakdalebirds on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 13:49
by cluckingnuts

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 38 queries.