allotment

• 10 Replies

finster

allotment
« on: May 28, 2011, 09:47 »
About to take over an overgrown half plot allotment, lucky me!!  Have been looking at SFG and wonder if that is an option.  Appreciate that it may not produce as good a yield as conventional but looks a lot easier and efficient.  If this a non starter any advice for clearing the site conventionally?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: allotment
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 09:51 »
What is SFG ? :unsure:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 09:54 »
I've moved your post to "grow your own" so you get more replies to your question.  Please pop back to the welcome forum and introduce yourself. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

m1ckz

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 10:23 »
SFG hmmmmmmm
errrrr,, so far gone
some folk grow
no idea

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 10:24 »
MOS - possibly Square foot gardening.

Finster - if you do mean square foot gardening you would really need to get the weeds cleared from your plot before starting down that line. SFG really needs good, weed free soil to work well.

The attached link (from this website) gives good information regarding the clearance of new plots.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles/Clearing_a_New_Allotment.php

You will also find lots of good information in the "Growing Help" link at the top of the page including information on what to grow and when.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 10:24 »
I presume you mean Square Foot Gardening?

I can't comment on that as I've never grown anything that way, but if you search on here there should be one or two threads about it.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 10:48 »
If you mean Square Foot Gardening, then I would have thought 1/2 an allotment plot would be too big an area, I've done SFG in the past and it's great, I do it now and it's still a great idea.

BUT I think 1/2 an allotment plot would be better off used differently.

If it was mine I'd consider a bed system ( not raised) with paths. Narrow beds about 3-4 foot across say no more than 8 foot long you'd have plenty of beds and room to grow a wide range of crops, with a little research and thought you could have a very productive plot, staggered planting rather than the traditional rows will use more of the available space.  along with modular sowing of crops like onions will give greater yields. Runner beans on a frame over two beds ( spanning the path so you walk under ) Blocks of sweetcorn Yummy !
How exciting  :D just wish I had the motivation for it all  ::)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 18:40 »
Might be SBK !!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 19:54 »
Might be SBK !!

Super Brushwood Killer or was it Stump Brushwood Killer is that not banned now ?  Don't think I've seen it for a while

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 23:18 »
I don't think SBK has been banned ... yet !

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 13:25 »
5 rods (half a plot) should really be raised "old fashioned" as a big flat space, yes it's tough work digging through (I've had to do it this last year and it was grim hard work)... but once you're done you've got the efficiency boost of being able to spread a load of muck and take a proper rotavator round it.. not a "cultivator", mantis, tiller or what-have-you, one of the bigger Howards or a Camon C8, that sort of thing.... that's the autumn digging done in an afternoon, repeat three months later adn that's the spring digging done.... all it needs afterward is weeding.... my plot neighbours have got lots of little beds and they've spent a fair amount on bed edging etc..... now they're pulling them out to make the beds bigger so they can machine work it.... they saw my Howard 400 in action on the other half plot I have and in less time than it took them to plant up a couple of 10x4 beds with spuds, I'd manured, planted and ridged in 3 1/2 rods of the things...

xx
My allotment

Started by durham_lass on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 01, 2007, 10:18
by sweet nasturtium
xx
new to the allotment

Started by fatmat on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 21:18
by gobs
xx
1st Allotment

Started by SCARECROW on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 19, 2006, 09:11
by John
xx
New Allotment

Started by RsT on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 09:44
by fuzzy

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 33 queries.