purple peas

• 10 Replies

m1ckz

purple peas
« on: March 09, 2012, 14:54 »
hi , ive sown some purple pod peas, was wondering if anyone knows what they taste like,,DD / lol

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: purple peas
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 15:00 »
errrr - like peas  :lol:

I tried a handful last yearand they were sweet when young but seemed mealy, like marrowfat peas when left a bit longer. They'd make great mushy peas at that stage  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 15:39 »
The only purple peas I've ever grown I saved all the seeds of and passed most of them on.  ;)
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 17:07 »

I've got about eight bottles of purple podded pea pod wine maturing nicely,  nice colour too.    I agree that the peas, if left to long are very marrowfattish.       Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mattwragg94

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 18:24 »
ive been thinking about getting that variety of pea (aswell as a few other strange varieties)  - its states online that it is intended for muchy peas or mange tout! ive also been looking at carouby de muassane mange tout, zircon mange tout and apsaragus pea. - they all have purple/pink flowers.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 19:08 »
Can't speak for the others Matt, but I've tried asparagus peas - the flowers are lovely but the "peas" would only suit those on a very strict diet!  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 19:16 »

purple podded pea pod wine

Try saying that after a glass or two  :lol:  Did it make white or rose wine Tony?  I've made peapod before and its very nice, but now pondering purple peas ........... oh no not more seeds  :wacko:

mattwragg94

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 20:09 »
Can't speak for the others Matt, but I've tried asparagus peas - the flowers are lovely but the "peas" would only suit those on a very strict diet!  ::)

are you on about there size? - i know they have to be picked when they are small, but ive never tried them - do they resemble the taste of asparagus?

Lottiegob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 21:40 »
We grew purple podded peas last year - 6ft tall, very successful and prolific, beautiful flowers. The peas were very tasty.  Got them from Pennard Plants.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 21:42 by Lottiegob »
I'm queen of my own compost heap and I'm getting used to the smell.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 22:13 »

are you on about there size? - i know they have to be picked when they are small, but ive never tried them - do they resemble the taste of asparagus?

Vaguely - what makes them problematic is that they're not large plants and you have to harvest the seed-pods when they look like 1" long  mangetout pods - that means a lot of plants to get a decent serving from.  ;)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 17:55 »
ive been thinking about getting that variety of pea (aswell as a few other strange varieties)  - its states online that it is intended for muchy peas or mange tout! ive also been looking at carouby de muassane mange tout, zircon mange tout and apsaragus pea. - they all have purple/pink flowers.

I grew carouby de mausanne last year, but for the pods rather than the peas. They have beautiful flowers on them, every bit as pretty as sweet peas. And they're fantastic as mange tout.

xx
PEAS purple pods

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 11, 2012, 10:02
by mumofstig
xx
Is there a purple french bean that stays purple when cooked?

Started by Martin on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 15:16
by crowndale
xx
Purple Runners (Aeron Purple Star)

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 29, 2014, 22:12
by surbie100
xx
purple carrots & purple sprouts

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 19:30
by mashbintater

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 31 queries.