Gooseberrys

• 7 Replies

Bodger

Gooseberrys
« on: May 21, 2008, 18:01 »
Could anyone give me an idea as to how gooseberry bushes are actually propagated ?

gobs

Gooseberrys
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 18:17 »
From suckers, like raspberries, These start to come from the base after flowering usually, early ones have some now. Don't worry if it doesn't come out with too much root, keep moist and it roots easily.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Bodger

Gooseberrys
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 18:31 »
We have a gooseberry bush here that was here twenty years ago when we first arrived. We have never done a thing to it but each year we get a good crop off it, i was thinking about getting a few more plants from it.

Thanks gobs :D

gobs

Gooseberrys
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 18:37 »
Welcome, Sir. :D

I can't remember how long they usually go for, but sounds like time to think ahead, who knows how old it is. :lol:

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Gooseberrys
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 18:37 »
My Mum has a gooseberry plant that is just forming little fruits... they are a red/green colour but the label says it grows green fruits.

Are all baby goosegogs this colour or was hers labelled incorrectly? (Apparently Dad doesn't like red ones!)

Sorry to thread hijack!  :oops:
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Gooseberrys
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 18:48 »
Cuttings,  that's how I did mine.

12" of this year's growth in October, well ripe. Sloping cut at top, square at bottom.

Cut wedge shape trench & stick about 2" sand in the bottom, strip all but about 4 buds off the cutting, leaving the top one. Stick in the trench with lowest remaining bud about 2" above soil level.

Fill in trench with soil, leave for a year & put in final postion next October.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

Gooseberrys
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 09:50 »
Quote from: "Snap Dragon"
My Mum has a gooseberry plant that is just forming little fruits... they are a red/green colour but the label says it grows green fruits.

Are all baby goosegogs this colour or was hers labelled incorrectly? (Apparently Dad doesn't like red ones!)

Sorry to thread hijack!  :oops:

I always thought you harvest unripe gooseberries for greens, these are still firm when harvested for cooking mostly, but I do like them just to eat, too, best to get a culinary variety for this purpose, I'd think.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Gooseberrys
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 12:07 »
My 'green' ones have a redish tint to the young fruit, which it loses.

I also have a 'desert' gooseberry, which grows larger & sweeter fruit. This also has a red tint, but it stays there all the way to maturity.

xx
Gooseberrys

Started by RobfromDeal on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2007, 21:50
by WG.
clip
Cape gooseberrys

Started by Olibongo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 28, 2018, 17:18
by Yorkie
xx
Gooseberrys and frost

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 22:49
by Ivah
xx
gooseberrys ready question?

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 21:31
by MoreWhisky

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 38 queries.