Have I 'snuffed' my yeast ?

• 3 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Have I 'snuffed' my yeast ?
« on: February 26, 2012, 10:51 »

Got up this morning all set to make bread.   Got the fresh yeast out of the fridge door and popped it in a jug, added caster sugar and a drop of lukewarm water and mixed.   

BEFORE  re-reading the threads on Ascorbic acid I sprinkled a small amount on the yeast.   AFTER re-reading the thread I believe I should have mixed the ascorbic acid into the flour and not into the yeast 'starter'.

Went away and expected to come back to a jug full of froth but there is only a thin layer of sickly looking skummy bubbles.   After agitating it starts to look better, then dies away.

Is it a postponement and another trip to the healthy shop for more yeast?    ???   Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Janeymiddlewife

Re: Have I 'snuffed' my yeast ?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:52 »
Dunno Tony, but for the first time yesterday I was distracted as I put ingredients in my breadmaker. Came home to a yeast free "loaf" - ie - brick  :( straight in the bin!
I use quick yeast for mine, I would probably chuck the yeast out, it won't cost much to replace, but your flour will!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 13:05 »

As the 'Sawbones's" say,   the operation was a succes, but the patient died.  The yeast has made no more progress since my question.  Just a thin layer of small bubbles,  on my last attempt at bread using fresh yeast, it was afrothing away like a good un.

I think I'll give this yeast a while in the recovery ward then go and buy some fresher fresh yeast. :ohmy:   

I need to go into town anyway and see if 'they' will accept all my film camera stuff as a down payment on a decent digital movie camera.      Cheers,    Tony.

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 15:50 »
KLEFTIWALLAH you can get live yeast free from the supermarkets, they give you a nice big chunk, they are not allowed to sell it to you because it is a living organism

xx
Yeast conversion

Started by Scribbler on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post September 03, 2012, 13:28
by shokkyy
clip
fresh yeast in bread

Started by grendel on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post June 10, 2014, 17:57
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 38 queries.