new hen house

• 2 Replies

bailey

• Experienced Member
new hen house
« on: November 08, 2009, 20:11 »
Hi all!

i,ve nipped across from the lottie pages for some advice if I may? may be here alot in the future.

we are looking at keeping a few chickens approx 4 and maybe a couple of bantams..
the house ect will have to be diy,d due mainly to the design of the garden and the areas still have to be relatively child friendly.

now the plans at the mo are to have the hen house attched to a wall and raised off the ground to stop vermin ect, with a run probably going off at an angle. though the birds will be allowed out to explore the garden properly at weekends.

as its diy and i can get pretty much endless supply of pallets would I be ok building the house out of this type of wood? i,m pretty good with diy so it won,t be a poor job and it will be waterproof ect, its just one of my main concerns are will i be introducing anything that i don,t want into the chickens home that may become harmfull or just a pest to the chicks? the other thing is I,m prob going to leave a gap at the back so that it does,nt get damp ect and prob attached to the wall by bolts that I can unhook the house at times.

any advice would be welcomed good or bad..

i,m used to getting stick on the lottie pages

karlooben

Re: new hen house
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 20:57 »
hi there bailey, personally i would not use pallet wood as it really doesnt last very long at all even with a good couple of coats of paint . do u have a builders merchant anywhere near you , i went to mine when building my run an i brought a lot of wood from them but now i get it all free  :D :D thats anything from 2'2 s, 4'1 , etc etc  when the wood gets slighty bowed or cracked it cant be sold so it just gets dumped at the local rubbish dump my local place safes up loads at a time and when i need it i just pop in there an grab as much as i want in return they get some fresh veg an eggs good deal or what . look around first or else i can see you having to rebuild an replace quite a few more times then you will really need to .

if i remember rightly some ppl on here have used pallets to make houses with but they are only small houses , it mite be better to look around for any second hand 6'4 sheds up for sale .

good luck cant wait to see the end results  :D :D
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

hillfooter

Re: new hen house
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 02:00 »
There's always lots of advice on houses as we all own the perfect ideal house!!

However checkout the stickies area here's one reference I noted from poultrygeist http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=32947.msg394174#msg394174.

Also check out a few pro. houses made by reputable manufacturers who know chx, not ebay sellers some of who know little about chx.  Forsham Cottage Arks are market leaders and have really well thought out houses,  The Domestic Fowl trust have a range of aviary types, and there are several others you can find via google.  Getting the design right is more complicated than you might think as it must embody good husbandy methods for the number and type of chickens you want to keep, be suited to your situation and above all minimise the amount of work required to keep it clean and maintained.

No problems using pallet wood but it won't last as long as treated planed wood, as Karlooben says, and also it will be dificult to make it water and draught proof.  Better to use T&G or ship lap treated boards or even good quality ply.  One thing I'd say is don't use felt on the roof (or anywhere) as it harbours Red Mitte the bain of the chx and their keepers lives.  Use Onduline corrugated roof boards for minimum maintenance, or heavy duty shiplap.  I also prefer that nestboxes have shutters otherwise they will be fouled at night making more work for you in the morning or fouled eggs.

We all could write a book on house design but I'll stop now and wish you ..................... Best of luck.
Truth through science.

xx
RAT in the hen house

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 13:04
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
my run and house

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 16:53
by karlooben
xx
Why won't my hen fly up into its house?

Started by Catk on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 06:11
by DD.
xx
Hen house

Started by Jo-n-Neil on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post February 08, 2008, 21:08
by Foxy

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 40 queries.