New Season

• 28 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

New Season
« on: February 09, 2012, 16:28 »
I'm not a dewy-eyed first-time grower, in fact Ihave been growing veg for 40 years. Maybe it's the infectious enthusiasm of others that's rubbed off on me since joining this forum but I'm so impatient to get started this season that it hurts :)

I've got two large established veggie patches, a soft fruit area, a greenhouse, a large polytunnel and a few apple and plum trees and have decided to put a new extra area of pasture of about 150 sq metres into cultivation now that I've decided to retire later this year.

This hard cold weather that we are having this month is driving me bananas given the amount of digging and then rotavating that lies ahead.

The only gardening activity available is seed and compost buying etc plus starting a few seeds off in the propagator in the greenhouse. That and buying yet more seeds seems to be my lot for the next week given the latest forecast.

Anyone else suffering from this malaise?

Christine

Re: New Season
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 17:12 »
You mean I'm not the only one with things to do and bored silly?  :dry:

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 17:20 »
Hi sounds like you have a real nice place there
ive managed to get all mine dug over now and manure trenched in looking good
also put my greenhouse up and benches
but cold has slowed down my second plot but that one all raised beds the grand children
have that small one .
they keep asking when they can come and plant there seeds bless them ::)
keep allotments alive grow your own

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 17:37 »
I'd never really had enough time to cultivate so much land until I became semi-retired a couple of years ago and now it's taken over my life to the point that growing is all I want to do. What makes it doubly hard is the mild weather we had until a couple of weeks ago. I'd really kidded myself that we were going to have a very early spring - after two weeks of sub zero temperatures we had freezing rain this morning!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 18:15 »
Nope, no malaise - happy to stay indoors until it warms up a little!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 18:30 »
Plenty of things to do.

Polish the aluminium foil, count the peas again.................
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

lacewing

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 18:50 »
Everyone in my family have a new pair of knitted gloves, knitted hats, and all repairs have been carried out. I might start polishing the carpet to-morrow!
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

plum crumble

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 19:39 »
so bored with waiting to get on the lottie that we are revamping our garden, starting tomorrow, subject to weather (note it has just started snowing as I look out the window  :nowink:)
planning to move trellises, beds, etc, and relay lawn in the spring. Moving stuff around so I can re-site the greenhouse OUT of the shadow created by neighbour's new extension (GRRRRRR  >:( )
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

digalotty

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 20:27 »
plenty to do but the ground is rock hard here so sitting on my thumbs
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

sarajane

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 23:08 »
If I dare get out my seed box to look at  -  yet again  -  OH is threatening to chuck it in the bin.  Its not like I don't know when to sow them coz I've read the packets over and over again, just waiting for the warmth of spring to turn my house into a greenhouse.

Got out my crotchet hooks out  and a big ball of wool to keep me from going insane  :wub:

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 01:56 »
But it's so warm inside my polytunnel :)

If only I had the time to do it, as opposed to working 12 hour days on top of riding and mucking out my horse, I've got the last bed still to be made and filled in my polytunnel, plus a load of first earlys all chitted and ready to go in the tunnel. And I've got the last load of onion seeds still to be planted in modules, plus the sweet peas, spring onions, lettuce, carrot, radish, kohl rabi seeds to start in the tunnel. So many jobs, so little time :)

lacewing

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 07:31 »
Ah!  you're just showing off coz you have a polytunnel.  Rest of us mere mortals have to wait!

ClaireV

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 10:18 »
I'm also feeling REALLY impatient to get going!  Was given my allotment 2 weeks ago and since then, we've had snow so I can't do anything.  Have been reading my allotment books and mags every evening after work, looking through all my new seed packets, boring my husband by going on and on about what I want to grow...for the first time in my life I'm not loving snowy weather  :D

sazhig

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 12:44 »
I'm getting itchy feet as well. I've been unable to work on the plot for ages due to the physical problems I had while pregnant, as well the issues of dealing with a tiny baby all summer, and now finally I can walk properly, lift stuff, dig etc I can't bloomin' do anything because of the snow  :mad:

I've had my 2nd letter last week warning me there have been complaints about the weeds and I really want to carry on with the work so I don't get a 3rd (which'll mean I'll get evicted  :(). I was making really good progress and had dug over the first bed ready for planting...and now I can't even get a spade in the ground it's so frozen :tongue2:
Saz

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 13:26 »
I'm itching to get going too!  I'm filling my time by buying ever more packets of seeds, at the last count I had 48 packets!  Made out a spreadsheet for what to sow when and sorted them all into sowing date order....   If I don't get started soon I'm going to have to go for counselling to put a stop to my seed-buying habit.

"My name is GYO Girl and I'm a seedaholic"  ::)
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

xx
Odd one....Next season seeds from this season crops

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 18:21
by zazen999
xx
what a season so far

Started by the goodlife on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 10, 2013, 10:17
by surbie100
xx
First of the season

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2015, 16:23
by sunshineband
xx
Twice in one season!

Started by Nickchick on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 19:26
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 39 queries.