Mint

• 5 Replies

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
Mint
« on: February 16, 2019, 08:08 »
Suggestions please on what mint to grow for new potatoes.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Mint
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 09:14 »
I grow apple mint and spearmint, both work well with spuds and in sauces, and both rampant if grown in open ground (I grow mine in sunken pots in the garden.)

(When used to flavour boiled new potatoes I add the mint 5 minutes before the end of cooking rather than at the beginning as I reckon some of the mint flavour gets boiled off otherwise.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

lettice

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 11:04 »
Had my mint for years and given plenty of cuttings away.
Its just the generic sort, which is much like what most call apple mint and mine produces purple flowers.
I have sunken containers that it sits in, and over the winter cut it down to ground level. It has started producing at ground level already.
I have recently done the deed of discarding and given away those runners that escape the containers nearby.

Would suggest asking a neighbour if they have any as cuttings rather than buying any.

As above, I add a good bunch to peas or new potatoes for the last five minutes of boiling or to the bottom of the steamer pan when steaming.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 14:06 »
I am like lettice, but I don't mind which flavour I use, whichever looks the bushiest.  If all else fails, I wind a teaspoon of mint sauce round them.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 09:36 »
 I think we all have the same idea for planting mint in a bucket in the ground as yes it will take over we have about 5 varieties of mint even curry flavour  :D we bought of a friend of ours its dead easy to grow

you cant beat freshly made  mince sauce with your leg of lamb picked out the garden for your Sunday lunch  :D I prefer the traditional mint for both potatoes and mint sauce and new spuds as I said traditional mint every time for me  :D

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 17:54 »
Thanks for all you help will be adding some to my plot in a bucket soon.

xx
The mint must die...

Started by Chuffy on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 23:40
by FCG
xx
Mint

Started by ferreter51 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 21:29
by evie2
xx
mint

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 21:59
by sunshineband
question
HELP!!! Need help - mint is everywhere

Started by Vit on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 11:17
by Vit

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 39 queries.