Planting raspberries

• 4 Replies

Firstyear

Planting raspberries
« on: February 12, 2019, 14:53 »
Hi everyone, I’ve managed to squeeze in a new raised bed to put in some autumn raspberries.  The bed is only 170x80cm. I’m wondering about spacing. I will be moving them again in 3 years ish as my veg plot will move to another part of the garden. I’m looking at Joan J. What spacing should I go for bearing in mind I will move them- I do find spacing confusing bare ground v pots etc. Could I plant them in a staggered row 4/3? Thanks

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Planting raspberries
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 15:37 »
I expect you already know that at the recommended spacing you only have room for 3 plants - however, they are often sold in 5's and if that's the case I'd be tempted to squeeze all 5 in - they shouldn't get too congested in 3 years, and you could always cut down a few of the canes if they do.

Bear in mind that they will try to spread, and after the first year you may have to keep digging up suckers appearing as if by magic in neighbouring beds.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Firstyear

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 17:46 »
While looking at raspberry canes I came across blackberry Reuben- it’s a primocane with upright habit and starting to think they might fit with the raspberries lol! Don’t eat lots of blackberry so one plant would do for the odd crumble..4 raspberries and one blackberry??? Or am I being really over optimistic lol! I could plant one elsewhere and take my chances with the birds... cheaper than bird food I guess!

lettice

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 08:42 »
My raspberry bed was planted originally as 18inch apart for each plant, six of them. The bed is 2ft by 7ft.
That worked for me.
You will find after a few years many more ground runners appearing along the bed that pruned will be ready for the following year or taken as cuttings to move elsewhere.
As mentioned above, you can easily get 5 plants into that space.

All my books say plant 18inch to 2 foot apart and 6 foot between rows.

Firstyear

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 17:48 »
Thanks! I’ve decided to go for Polka! 😀

xx
planting raspberries

Started by Sue32 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 14:06
by Nobbie
xx
Planting Raspberries

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 09, 2012, 15:33
by ianl
xx
Planting raspberries....

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 30, 2013, 16:48
by mumofstig
xx
planting or heeling in raspberries

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 26, 2010, 16:46
by Trillium

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 39 queries.