Onion Question

• 4 Replies

vonkiglin

Onion Question
« on: February 22, 2011, 15:48 »
Hello All
I am sorry to ask this as I am sure it is already here somewhere but I cant find the answer sorry
I keep hearing the term "bolting" and for a novice like myself I keep thinking of horses running away or those big metal things. What exactly is bolting and how do I know when it has occurred just as I have sown some onion seeds which are coming on nicely currently but dont want all my hard work to go to waste

Many thanks

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Onion Question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 15:57 »
It's the premature gowing to seed of a vegetable, for instance if an onion flowers and seeds in its first year, not second.

Not to be confused with "drawn" or "leggy" plants, which are young plants that have put on weak and fast growth due to inappropriate heat & light conditions.

You may have the latter, but won't know if you have the former for a good few months yet.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 18:56 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 16:02 »
Don't be sorry Vonk.  This is the place to ask such questions,

"Bolting"    is the term given when a vegetable throws up a spike of growth to produce seed.  One of the most obvious veg' to do this is a lettuce.  In the morning your lettuce is nice and round and the next day it has started to grow upwards at a fast rate and if you leave it, it will flower and produce seeds.   When this happens 'they say' the goodness has gone out of the veg' to produce the seed head.  

If you are unlucky, you may see your onions producing a strong stalk from the middle and if you leave this stalk, eventually there will be a ball of flowers and later seeds at the top.  If you snap or cut off this stalk as soon as you see it you may save your onion, but it will not store very well and is best used as soon as possible.   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 16:05 »
Not necessarily, Kleftiwallah, I stressed the premature going to seed. Things like lettuce will do this in one season as part of their natual cyle.

vonkiglin

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 18:53 »
again thank you for all the information
I am so glad I stumbled across this site

xx
onion question from first time onion grower

Started by ceri green on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 20:48
by gillie
xx
Onion set question.

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 10:13
by craggy
xx
an onion question

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2014, 15:58
by chrissie B
xx
Onion question

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 21:48
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 35 queries.