There's hope

• 4 Replies

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
There's hope
« on: May 15, 2019, 08:46 »
   I've just reviewed my wildlife camera footage from last night, something I do every morning before going to work, and there was something that stopped me in my tracks and made me very emotional. At 4.10 am one of our 5 hedgehogs was just having its last meal before retiring, quietly munching away, and in the background you could hear for the full minute, the cuckoo loud and clear. To have on a short film 2 of our most endangered iconic creatures made me feel very honoured indeed. At that moment nothing else mattered.  :( :wub:

Growster...

Re: There's hope
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 12:14 »
Absolutely lovely, Ruby!

I was in a similar frame of mind walking JRT yesterday. There were some starlings mucking about on The Moor here, and it was clear who the mum (or dad) was, as the kid was just hopping around, doing what young starlings do, and the parent just let it go a few feet, before joining it and probably giving bird instructions with a firm beak...

I watched them for several minutes, and just melted!

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 19:44 »
  People look  growster, but we could do with more actually seeing. I can't mend the wider environment for creatures but I can make my own garden a safe haven for them.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 20:48 »
  People look  growster, but we could do with more actually seeing. I can't mend the wider environment for creatures but I can make my own garden a safe haven for them.

That's a lovely sentiment, Ruby, and one we cherish here too.

Sadly, our bird box is empty this year, and I really need to cut the hedges, but I'm still not sure if the nests are deserted yet...

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 14:12 »
Outside our front door we have a cast iron pump stand without its top and I use it as a stand for a non-hanging basket and last year a tit made its nest at the bottom and raised a chick or two. Unfortunately it got so hot that they weren't able to fly out. Two weeks ago we saw a nest of about 12 eggs by shining a little torch down then today there were little chicks with their mum. In the near future we'll have to lift the stand up so they can get out.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

lamp
I hope my day improves ...

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post March 03, 2021, 16:10
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Hope you escaped the floods.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post November 23, 2017, 16:46
by jaydig

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 43 queries.