Heating - without electric

• 21 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Heating - without electric
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 02:38 »
I have been surprised by how much heat they do give out.

Its still only 40W-80W :( - naked flame feels hot of course!

jrko

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 07:16 »

10 hour tea lights are very cheap at Makro. The pots stay hot longer than the candle. Granted you will not get the same heat as parafin, but you will get some help against frost. I have been surprised by how much heat they do give out.

The 1st law of thermodynamics which cannot be argued with or altered (unless a terracotta pot is all it takes to change the fundamental laws of physics) states that energy cannot be created or destroyed.  It simply changes state.

The energy stored in the wax is transferred into heat/light energy by burning it. Adding terracotta pots and bolts/washers changes nothing in terms of output.  It's still 30 watts per candle. It doesn't matter how long the pots stay warm for.  It's still only 30 watts per candle. In fact it's actually less because there will be losses between the flame and the pot.

1st law of thermodynamics says "buy a propper heater or wait until the weather warms up"  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 07:40 by jrko »
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 07:44 »
Newton is so old hat, I much prefer jrko's 1st law of thermodynamics :)

jrko

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 10:13 »
Newton is so old hat, I much prefer jrko's 1st law of thermodynamics :)

Me too, although I've enjoyed reading all of the thread!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 10:45 »
I enjoyed reading the linked PDF too ... I could have done with C.P. Snow's asides  when I was learning that stuff, all our physics lectures were dull as ditchwater.  The only one that was memorable was when the teacher closed the [blackout] curtains and made a gap where they joined (several inches in diameter) and created a pin-hole camera and we could see all the people in the street outside walking, upside down, on the opposite wall.

Its probably not a pin-hole is it? Camera Obscura perhaps.

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 11:24 »
This is what we did to my friends greenhouse. Over a few weeks we went skip diving and collected old disused plastic down pipes and some dumped polycarbonate twin wall roof sheeting. He then dug out his growing areas on each side to a depth of about 450mm.
We then laid the roof sheet in the bottom and around the sides for insulation. We then laid the plastic down pipes on top of the roofing sheet and connected some bends to both ends of the pipes.
The in-take pipe is at high level near the roof and the exit is at ground level.
 We then back-filled the growing trenches with new poo and organic matter and soil.
He purchased 4 number 12v 5watt 100mm diameter fans. Two of the fans were blowing downwards into the pipes at high level, and the other two were drawing the air through at low level and expelling it at low level. These were then connected to a 12v 25watt solar pv panel that was pointed south at 22 degres.
The greenhouse was then insulated with bubble wrap and everything in it was pianted matt black.
When the sun comes out the greenhouse heats up very quickly, The brighter the sun the faster the fans run. When there sun goes in the fans slowdown or stop. All the hot air pumped through the burried plastic pipe is transferred into the soil and used as the thermal store.
In the summer the fans are moved to a high level vent and are used to pump the excess hot air out of the greenhouse.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

xx
I now have heating! What next?

Started by fekq on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post November 13, 2012, 11:50
by DD.
xx
heating greenhouse

Started by davidmw on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 15:04
by pink aubergine
xx
heating a greenhouse

Started by hanssg on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2016, 15:22
by grendel
xx
Heating a Greenhouse

Started by AlistairMcLennan on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

16 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 23:18
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 29 queries.