My hens got free

• 8 Replies

knittywittywoo

My hens got free
« on: July 24, 2008, 21:59 »
We have had 2 hens now since Sunday. They are in a coop with a run and seem quite happy, we have had an egg a day off each of them.
The plan was to let them out an hour before dusk on Saturday and hope they came back,then to let them roam a little each day.
These are my first hens so the idea of letting them out and 'hoping' they come back is a little scary.

They had their own idea....tonight as we were preparing to move the coop a little bit further down the garden I had the top open to get the food out and out 1 jumped, as I was (ineffectively :lol: ) telling her to get back in out jumped the 2nd. They were off into the bushes, strutting up and down and creating little dust baths. They loved it.

They were out for about an hour and a half and then I started to get abit worried about them going in so I bribed them with breadcrumbs. 5 seconds later they were in.

I still feel nervous about them coming out regularly, somebody was watching them at all times tonight. I suppose the nervousness will go with more experience. I don't want them to be out alone if I'm not at home, I would worry too much.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
My hens got free
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 22:03 »
I agree they should be safely in there run when you're away.  But when you are confident that you can get them back into there run easily you'll relax a bit I'm sure :D

Vember

My hens got free
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 22:23 »
Ahh sounds like  they had a grand time, bless 'em :D

Foxy

My hens got free
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 23:03 »
At least you haven't got runner ducks! my OH nearly p.......d himself laughing tonight as I tried to herd them in- they second guessed me every time! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
My hens got free
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 23:11 »
Sounds like they had a great time..................little tinkers! :lol:

knittywittywoo

My hens got free
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 15:02 »
They have just had another 3 hours running around the garden...planned this time :lol: .
They seemed to be crying to be let out so me and eldest ( 16 ) went in all the bushes checking for holes in fencing. There is part of the wall that has fallen between us and neighbour that I want Hubby to sort out. Apart from that it seemed pretty secure, they would have to want freedom pretty bad to try to escape but I suppose it could be done if they were so determined.
We let them out and they have had a great time again wandering around. One even let my middle child ( 14 ) stroke her.
We have put them away for abit now but plan to let them out again later this evening. My thinking is that if they are wandering in the bushes they aren't pooping in the run. :lol:

violet

• Experienced Member
My hens got free
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 08:24 »
Once they taste freedom...they love it!

Pep

• Experienced Member
My hens got free
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 16:01 »
I keep some chicken food in an old Nescafe coffee jar and from day one of keeping mine, I've tapped on the jar, shouted "chook, chook, chook" and then fed them.  You should see them come running now!!

The neighbours probably think I'm bonkers but it keeps the birds safe :lol:

Are you posting any pictures (it seems to be an unwritten rule of the forum).  We'd love to see them.

Pauline

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
My hens got free
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 21:52 »
Mine are out in the garden all day - they tend to come close to the house )in fact we have had to net across to keep them of the decking as it is going up - OH is determined they will not poop on it - the chickens are determined that they will. At the moment it is about 20-0 to the chickens. The only problem is they fly over the netting and then come for a stroll into the house - luckily we have wipe clean flooring in the conservatory and the kitchen - they don't even mind the 3 cats being there!

xx
Free Range - new hens

Started by mrssue on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 11:17
by mrssue
xx
dogs and free range hens

Started by andy and deb on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 21:57
by Raven81
xx
worming free ranging hens

Started by callysauz on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2013, 00:05
by devonbarmygardener
xx
keeping free range hens in

Started by donnaw on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 19:44
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 38 queries.