New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

Got a Plot

• 4 Replies

Batesy

Got a Plot
« on: October 25, 2017, 10:57 »
Hi all,

Been lurking on this website for a few months in anticipation of the news that I received yesterday - I now have a plot! Apart from growing a few tomatoes on the patio I have absolutely no experience at all, but fortunately an elderly neighbor had a plot on another allotment for many years and is more than willing to give me a hand.

We've been quite lucky as the plot has been occupied by another elderly gentleman for years so we don't have any nasty weeds to tackle. It's a bit of a shame that this year's main growing season is over, but it gives me time to gently ease myself into the new way of life. I'm looking forward to chatting, learning and getting used to a new way of life for me and my family.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Got a Plot
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 11:11 »
Welcome Batesy and congratulations on your new plot  :)

If your plot is well maintained you could still sow broad beans to overwinter or plant overwintering onions, shallots and garlic  ;)

Have you found this bit of the site yet?

http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-advice-month/fruit-vegetable-growing-october/

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 11:12 »
Hi there, welcome to the site and good luck with the new plot  ;)

Lots of useful advice here
http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles-advice/

Just beat me to it NS  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 11:38 »
Hi there a lovely time to get a plot, plenty of time to plan over the winter. Don’t forget we all started somewhere & made mistakes & some of still do!😂😂. The amount of times I plant or sow something then go back a couple of days later & think why did I put that there now I can’t do........
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Batesy

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 11:29 »
Thanks for the welcomes.

Welcome Batesy and congratulations on your new plot  :)

If your plot is well maintained you could still sow broad beans to overwinter or plant overwintering onions, shallots and garlic  ;)

Have you found this bit of the site yet?

http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-advice-month/fruit-vegetable-growing-october/

Yes I have seen that bit, during my aforementioned lurking - I think I've actually read the page for every month!

I haven't seen the plot for a couple of months, but in August the previous tenant was growing produce on every part of it. He has only recently harvested everything and given it up, so I would say that it is well maintained. I'm hoping to pay the plot a visit at the weekend to see what's what. I should imagine there will be a couple of weeks worth of weeds, so then is it just a case of removing those and sowing away, or do I need to prepare the soil in any other way?

Hi there, welcome to the site and good luck with the new plot  ;)

Lots of useful advice here
http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles-advice/

Just beat me to it NS  :D

Thanks, a lot of good info there which I have started to read through.

Hi there a lovely time to get a plot, plenty of time to plan over the winter. Don’t forget we all started somewhere & made mistakes & some of still do!😂😂. The amount of times I plant or sow something then go back a couple of days later & think why did I put that there now I can’t do........

I expect I will end up doing exactly the same thing. I'm planning to just 'get stuck in' to be honest, as I would rather make mistakes and learn something than be too scared of making mistakes in the first place. As the saying goes "a year from now you will wish you started today". I'm really looking forward to it.

xx
A plot at last !

Started by Broccolihead on Welcome to the Forums

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2016, 19:32
by Yorkie
xx
New Plot

Started by CaroleAnne on Welcome to the Forums

6 Replies
Last post November 08, 2017, 20:37
by aj981
clip
Hello, have just got my first plot in York.

Started by pattypantastic on Welcome to the Forums

13 Replies
Last post June 02, 2020, 21:16
by Yorkie
xx
New guy on the plot forum

Started by malkki on Welcome to the Forums

8 Replies
Last post June 27, 2020, 18:49
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 40 queries.