Mantis v Ryobi

• 11 Replies

IvanAllotment

Mantis v Ryobi
« on: August 20, 2007, 08:16 »
Hi, I've decided to buy a machine to help prepare and improve my allotment that I took over this April. I did clear most of it by hand (well by foot really) with fork and spade but now you can see how enthusiastic I was. The top end, where I started and was more thorough, is still relatively clear. As you progress down the magic of getting involved with the earth must have worn off as it's almost as bad as it was - my fault for not keeping on top of it.
Now for the question. I'm trying to decide between a Mantis Tiller and a 30cc Ryobi with an Expand It tiller attachment. My thoughts are that the Mantis would be better as a tiller as it's mainly designed for this task. However for the same sort of money (less actually) I'd have a strimmer, brush cutter, pruner AND tiller - the tiller attachment actually looks very well built and up to the job, but is it? The 2-Stroke Mantis appears to be 21cc so would the extra power of the Ryobi (30cc) make up for the fact that it may be a jack of all but maybe master of none.
Your thought would be appreciated.
P.S. I understand that a tiller can spread weeds (in little bits) but by repeating the process this will be reduced but . . what happens to the worms, of which there are loads on my plot. I suppose that they get chopped too  :cry:
It is always easy - when you know how.

muntjac

Mantis v Ryobi
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 11:34 »
id go for the ryobi anyday them mantis jobbies look to flimsy to me  :?
still alive /............

Gwiz

Mantis v Ryobi
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 07:10 »
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4404

the one ive got is the tiller only, but its very, very good.
the mantis is a great machine, but a bit on the pricey side for me.
id agree with munty, ryobi. one tool dose all= less clutter. :D

IvanAllotment

Mantis v Ryobi
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:10 »
Thanks for the replies.

Well, the deed is done, having talked to a few other people, the Ryobi arrives tomorrow and all being well I'll give it a go at the weekend and let people know my findings.

Size66

SNAP
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 13:44 »
i was at exactly the same stage as you - over grown plot Mantis or Ryobi, the rayobi wins - especially with my dads 10% pensioner B&Q Discount - BUT do ii need to apply a weed killer befor i wade in to the plot and if so which one

ta :?

IvanAllotment

Mantis v Ryobi
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 14:48 »
I'm afraid that I'm greener than my fingers on this. I'd remove any weeds with tap roots by hand and then just chomp the rest with the Ryobi. Some will reappear but a second going over will reduce them and then just keep an eye on them and use a hoe when necessary.

So far I've only strimmed the site. I'm glad that I got the 30cc version as it seemed to need the extra power. I'm just going through it now removing the 'big' weeds and then I'll use the tiller. Tried it on a patch at home and so far I'm impressed - although I think I've now created a kitty patch for all the local cats ':cry:'. It is a bit noisy and the engine casing gets very warm, although not hot enough to burn, but I suppose that's to be  expected.

IvanAllotment

Mantis v Ryobi
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 09:44 »
When initially asking about which tiller to get I kept getting the answer "it depends" which wasn't what I really wanted. However now I've got one then my answer would also be the same. There are many factors involved mainly to do with the soil itself.
I've tried my Ryobi with the Expand It tiller attachment and I have two suggestions for people thinking of doing the same. Firstly if you have a bad back (which I don't) hire a bigger machine and rope a member of the family in to do the work in one hit. Then the upkeep will be easier from then on.
If you have a lot of stones then try and clear them. The tines pick even moderate size ones up and then stuff them against the metal guard stopping progress. This then involves 5 minutes of careful prodding and poking (with the machine off) before restarting and heading for the next buried stone. It would have been good, perhaps, to make this guard out of thick rubber to stop the machine from grinding to a halt in this way.
My friend has a Merry Tiller (Merry Tank more like it) which I'm going to borrow to 'do' the plot. I then think that what I have will be able to maintain it easily in the years to come - but for my soil type and previous lack of cultivation on this site I think that the real answer to which machine to buy/use would still be . . . . it depends ;-)

crowndale

Mantis v Ryobi
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 10:23 »
I have just purchased a second hand mantis (the price was better that way!) which should arrive next week hopefully.  because I am a fairly feeble being I always knew I would not be able to handle a much larger machine so am resigned to the need to dig first and then rotovate.  It also means the stones will mostly be removed, though the site I am digging this week (a friends plot) has very few stones anyway.  Can't wait to try it out, like a kid with a new toy.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

shaun

Mantis v Ryobi
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 20:00 »
you wont be dissapointed crowndale but dont be kidded by the size of the mantis,hit a bit of hard ground and it wants to take off,they only snag i find with it is the tines get snagged up with vegetation,apart from that they are brilliant,let us know how you get on  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Alfie

• Experienced Member
    • Chester Vintage Enthusiasts Club
Mantis v Ryobi
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 20:55 »
Shaun's spot on with his post, i've got a Mantis & i don't think you'll be disappointed. For the size of the machine, it takes a lot of hammer to kill one & boy do they dig  :D
The only down side is they are light & do bounce on big roots.
Graham

Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law

crowndale

Mantis v Ryobi
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 21:22 »
The plan is at the moment to try it out on my friends lottie.  I have just spent the week digging it and removing all weeds so hopefully it will have nothing to snag on, but I think I will have to soak some of the ground first as it's been dry here a bit now and the top layer of soil is beginning to bake already.  Should arrive tuesday, I'll be down the lottie as soon as it's opened and I have bought the petrol from the garage!

shaun

Mantis v Ryobi
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 21:24 »
is it the 2 stroke or the 4 stroke one crowndale if its the 2 stroke one dont forget the oil  :wink:
dont bother to wet the ground just let the mantis do its stuff.

xx
Ryobi vs Flymo

Started by FatGaz on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 19:13
by Goldfinger
xx
Ryobi strimmers

Started by robinaber on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 18:33
by hillfooter
xx
Ryobi Strimmer

Started by radiohead on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post August 29, 2012, 17:38
by radiohead
xx
ryobi expandit

Started by vespaman on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 11:15
by vespaman

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 39 queries.